Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relaxing teas

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know of a tea that has calming and relaxing effects?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chamomile is said to be relaxing. Valerian is supposed to make you drowsy.

4. Aug 27, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I see by your member profile that you're in the US, so I can't legally or ethically recommend the one that might be most relaxing. :biggrin:
    Remember, too, that only something from a camellia sinensis plant is tea. Any of that other crap is just boiled weeds. :yuck:

5. Aug 27, 2009 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

chamomile, linden or mint tea. I like the last

6. Aug 27, 2009 #5
    might want to avoid valerian, it's a bit druggy and you can build up a tolerance. does it even come in a tea?

ginger for nausea. you may or may not like perfumy teas like jasmine (i can't stand it). for me, i prefer earl gray (bergamot flavoring) over just about everything. whatever gives you "comfort" i guess. aromas can awaken some pretty deep buried memories and emotions, so keep that in mind. maybe orange spice reminds you of christmas in your childhood, etc.

there are other things that are non-tea if you're interested...

7. Aug 27, 2009 #6
    Marrow is usually in sleeping teas

8. Aug 27, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I'm registered as a marrow donor, but I don't think that I want to go through the pain just for some sucker to drink it.

9. Aug 27, 2009 #8
    haha oops, I ment Yarrow :biggrin:

10. Aug 27, 2009 #9
    isn't that illegal?

11. Aug 27, 2009 #10
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Aug 27, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Actually, no. Once something is donated, the recipient can do whatever s/he wants to with it. There are 'vampires', usually victims of porphyria or hard-core goths, who buy bags from blood banks in order to drink it. My registration was with the intention of helping leukemia patients, but it's none of my business once it's out of my body.

13. Aug 27, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

If you have a neighbor or friend that grows bee-balm to attract bees and hummingbirds, ask if you can have the plants in the fall. They should be cut back in the fall to let the roots over-winter, and you can hang and dry the stalks and make tea from the leaves. Guess what? The plant is also known as chamomile and the dried leaves can make a nice soothing bed-time tea. Bee-balm is drop-dead easy to grow, as are most members of the mint family. Combine the leaves from bee-balm with dried peppermint, spearmint, etc, so you don't have to shell out big bucks for herbal teas.

Even if all you have is a tiny bit of patio-space or a place to hang a window-box, you can grow these in containers. It's easy. Instead of buying tea-bags, you can crush the leaves and steep them in boiling water using old-fashioned tea-balls or make temporary tea-bags out of cheesecloth or similar.

14. Aug 27, 2009 #13
    Or just boil the leaves in a tea kettle as is and pour the tea through a strainer into your cup.

That's how my grandmother did it. Great memories, great tea! :cool:

15. Aug 29, 2009 #14
    I enjoy Chrysanthemum tea

16. Aug 29, 2009 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I've always thought that those were poisonous. Are you joking, or was my mother lying? (No offense taken if the latter; she's lied to me about a lot of stuff.)

17. Aug 29, 2009 #16
    I really hope they are not poisonous!

18. Sep 3, 2009 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

right now I’m drinking sage tea, it’s nice and calming

19. Sep 4, 2009 #18
    Sage tea?? that sounds awesome

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook