Relearning differential equations,

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a diffEQ problem with the equation d^4x/dx^4 - d^2x/dx^2 + a = 0, where a is a parameter. The solution involves using the function y = d^2x/dx^2 and solving the equation d^2y/dt^2 - y + a = 0 to find a solution for z = y-a. The problem specifically asks what happens if a varies, so it cannot be treated as a constant.
Daniel Sellers

Homework Statement

I was never great in diffEQ, but now I have to solve this problem for physics homework and I'm pretty lost.

d^4x/dx^4 - d^2x/dx^2 + a =0

Where a is a parameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solutions like e^kt which work accept for the parameter a. The problem asks specifically what happens if a varies, so I can't even treat it like a constant

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Sellers said:

Homework Statement

I was never great in diffEQ, but now I have to solve this problem for physics homework and I'm pretty lost.

d^4x/dx^4 - d^2x/dx^2 + a =0

Where a is a parameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solutions like e^kt which work accept for the parameter a. The problem asks specifically what happens if a varies, so I can't even treat it like a constant

I assume you mean ##d^4 x/dt^4##, etc; otherwise your DE makes no sense at all!

I suspect they mean that ##a## is a "parameter" that is fixed throughout a solution, but that different values of ##a## can give you different solutions. At least, that is how I read it. Otherwise, the problem should have written ##a(t)## instead of just plain ##a##.

Anyway, if ##a## really is a constant, the function ##y = d^2 x/dt^2## satisfies ##d^2 y /dt^2 - y + a = 0##, so ##z = y-a## satisfies ##d^2 z /dt^2 - z = 0.##

Yes, there are t's in the denominator. Tha ks so much, I think that will work!

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, based on its current value and rate of change. They are commonly used to model and analyze dynamic systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is it important to learn differential equations?

Understanding differential equations is essential for many scientific and technical fields. They allow us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. They also provide a basis for advanced mathematical concepts and applications.

3. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

There are various techniques for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, method of undetermined coefficients, and the Laplace transform. The appropriate method to use depends on the type of differential equation and its specific characteristics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of differential equations?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of differential equations. You can also try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and utilizing online resources and practice problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many real-world applications, such as predicting the spread of diseases, modeling population growth, analyzing the behavior of electric circuits, and designing control systems for machines and vehicles. They are also used in fields like economics, chemistry, and biology to study and understand complex systems.