1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relearning Math Before Grad School

1. May 31, 2009 #1
    I am currently a math/physics major who is almost done with his mathematics degree (I am a junior but I did much math and should be able to complete my degree in just three years + one quarter versus the normal four). However, I will still be taking another year or two to complete my physics degree.

I am worried about getting into a graduate school to study the topic that interests me (quantum gravity and its application to cosmology.) Despite the fact that I have PASSED all of my mathematics courses, my understanding of most topics I feel is pretty poor. I have forgotten much of my linear algebra, almost all differential equations, even the complex analysis work I took recently is fading from memory. I think this is in part because there is simply so much stuff to learn and if I don't practice it all the time, I will inevitably lose some of it... but I think another issue is that I just don't know the subjects that well. I feel like I passed much of math without actually having to learn the math. Sort of a 'plug in numbers, memorize theorems, but not worry about having to understand the deeper aspects of it'.

Regardless, I am contemplating the following idea and would like some input/advice.

When I finish with my B.S. in mathematics, while I finish my physics degree up; I am thinking of re-learning calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, as well as complex analysis and abstract algebra on my own so that I can grasp the concepts involved moreso than I do now.

Also, with my GPA sitting just above a 3.0 I think I am going to have to depend on research and a great GRE score in order to get into some good graduate schools. Perhaps this re-learning; along with practicing GRE exams (taking some sort of prep-course) will help me accomplish this.

Maybe, if I needed to take this to an extreme I could get a job for a few years with my bachelors degrees while going over the material I spent four years learning; and then judge if I feel ready or not based on whether I can complete those prep GRE's.

Thanks for any input/advice!

EDIT: I have also not taken any probability/statistics courses (I didn't have to; and statistics doesn't interest me). Do I need to have a knowledge of this for the GRE?

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted