Why does air release differently from a slightly open versus a wide open mouth?

• Thread starter kartikwat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in the temperature of air released from the mouth when it is little open versus when it is released from a larger, open mouth. The thin, fast stream of air is able to pull more cold air from the surroundings, leading to a cooler feeling. However, the temperature of the air coming from the mouth remains the same regardless of the speed of the stream. The difference lies in the effect on a damp surface, with the amount of evaporative cooling being in direct proportion to the wind velocity. Additionally, it is noted that in hot and humid conditions, the air released from the mouth may not feel as cold due to the high humidity in the breath.
kartikwat
Whay is it that when we release air from our mouth when it is little open then the cold air is released but when we release air from large open mouth hot air is released.

Physics news on Phys.org
kartikwat said:
Whay is it that when we release air from our mouth when it is little open then the cold air is released but when we release air from large open mouth hot air is released.
The thinner faster stream pulls more cold air from surroundings with it.

kartikwat said:

I can release hot air even when it is opened very little. I think you meant opened little and blowing fast.

Releasin air from mouth

adjacent said:
I can release hot air even when it is opened very little. I think you meant opened little and blowing fast.

Ya you are correct

I think that you will find that the air coming from your mouth has the same temperature as it had in your mouth regardless of the speed of the stream. The difference is in the effect on a damp surface. The amount of evaporative cooling that takes place on that surface is in direct proportion to the square of the wind velocity

klimatos said:
I think that you will find that the air coming from your mouth has the same temperature as it had in your mouth regardless of the speed of the stream. The difference is in the effect on a damp surface. The amount of evaporative cooling that takes place on that surface is in direct proportion to the square of the wind velocity

That's true, but I think it's mostly what I said in post #2. When put your finger close to the mouth, then a thin fast stream still feels warm. When you move the finger away it becomes colder, because more cool air is pulled with the stream.

A.T. said:
because more cool air is pulled with the stream.

It's 105°F (about 41°C) here right now. Where's the cool air coming from?

klimatos said:
It's 105°F (about 41°C) here right now. Where's the cool air coming from?
In this case it's not about being colder, but about having less humidity. You breath has 100% relative humidity, so it cannot evaporate the sweat from your finger, no matter how fast you blow. To feel cold the stream must pull with it some less humid air from the surroundings.

What is the purpose of releasing air from mouth?

The purpose of releasing air from the mouth is to exhale carbon dioxide from the lungs and to regulate the pressure in the respiratory system.

How do I release air from my mouth?

To release air from the mouth, simply open your mouth and exhale slowly. You can also use techniques such as pursed lip breathing or diaphragmatic breathing to release air more efficiently.

Is releasing air from mouth the same as burping?

No, releasing air from the mouth is not the same as burping. Burping is a reflex caused by excess air in the stomach, while releasing air from the mouth is a conscious act to regulate breathing.

Can releasing air from the mouth help with relaxation?

Yes, releasing air from the mouth can help with relaxation. It can help release tension in the body and calm the mind, especially when combined with deep breathing techniques.

Are there any health benefits to regularly releasing air from the mouth?

Yes, there are several health benefits to regularly releasing air from the mouth. It can improve lung function, help with stress and anxiety, and promote relaxation. It can also be beneficial for people with respiratory conditions such as asthma or COPD.