Releasing Information: Are Online Predators More Dangerous?

In summary: There are a lot of people who are afraid to release information online. They're worried that someone will steal their information or that something bad will happen to them. But people usually don't release information like their address or phone number online. There are a few reasons for this. One reason is that people don't feel safe around people who look, sound, or smell dangerous. Another reason is that anything can happen online. People may not feel safe giving out their address or phone number because they're not sure who might be listening. But in a barbershop, people usually get a good look at the people around them. This makes people feel safe.
JamesU
Gold Member
I know a lot of people who are afraid to release information online. like their phone number, address, where they're from, etc.

but nobody pays attention who what you tell the people around you. for instance:
you're getting a haircut and you get one of those people who talk alot. they ask where you're from, where you're family is from, and your name. but you would normally tell this person, even if you don't know them.
it's the same scenario online, except 'you don't want to tell these people, they can steal your information'

but so can other people you meet. so why do people have a greater fear of online predators?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good point. But I wouldn't release such information if I'm around people who appear/sound/smell? dangerous...see it might be sort of risky there. But in your barbershop, I take it you don't see too many "dangerous" peoples and you get a good look at the people/things around you. Therefore, you feel safe!
But online?? Almost Anything/anybody can happen!:tongue2: -Which is why we hold information confidential

the barber thing was just an example

Minors should be told not to give out any information to ANYONE. Children can be duped into just about anything if the person approaches them right, weither it be on line or in person.

I don't give out my info to anyone in person, except for the city I live in, and perhaps a business card to my shop.
I have a few on line friends who know more about me, but only after years of communications with them.

Well the problem is that you wouldn't give this information out in public! Or well, at least I sure wouldn't. i don't think many people will give their actual address or number out to a random stranger (unless of course htere stupid teenagers who want a date).

I picked up my computer geek friends' extreme paranoia about personal info online a while back. They were the type of computer geeks that were online before there was an "internet" and were involved in less than legal activities. Anyway, some online friends of mine started referring to me online by my real name one day and eventually I was mostly over it. Currently I don't mention my name online and I don't mention where I work because I'm security and the company I work for may not be very happy if I were to be talking about what goes on at my work online. I also don't want the students where I work finding me online. One of them already has though, so I make sure not to talk to him or post any personal information where he might be able to read it.

There's a big difference between posting info on the net, such as here, and talking about something in public. For one I don't talk to random strangers about personal information though I may mention personal information to people I do know in public. Online anybody who happens by, out of millions of people all over the world, could potentially see what I'm saying. In public and speaking I have much more control, and a better idea, of who is listening in. The other difference online is that someplace like PF here what ever I type will be up for quite some time until deleted. Someone could practically google for the information if they had any idea what they were looking for.

bomba923 said:
Good point. But I wouldn't release such information if I'm around people who appear/sound/smell? dangerous...see it might be sort of risky there. But in your barbershop, I take it you don't see too many "dangerous" peoples and you get a good look at the people/things around you. Therefore, you feel safe!
But online?? Almost Anything/anybody can happen!:tongue2: -Which is why we hold information confidential
Don't criminals get their hair cut too? :wink:

I pretty much draw the same lines. If I wouldn't talk about something to a stranger at a bar, I won't talk about it online. Some people don't even think about who's listening in around them though. I've heard people discuss transactions on their cell phone while walking through a mall or sitting in a restaurant where they're giving out phone numbers, social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc. Then again, there is some information that's pretty publicly available, so it hardly matters if I give it out online or not, because it can be obtained anyway. For example, if I introduce myself to someone by name, all they need to do is head to the phone book to look up my phone number and address if they really wanted that information. Then again, all women know the trick of giving a fake name if they aren't sure they can trust the person they are talking to. :biggrin:

well, ther are ways to get people's info, house address, phone num, and even a background search:

http://www.zabasearch.com

1. What is the definition of an online predator?

An online predator is an individual who uses the internet to target and exploit vulnerable individuals, typically children or teenagers, for sexual or other harmful intentions.

2. Are online predators more dangerous than traditional predators?

There is no clear answer to this question as both types of predators can be dangerous. However, the anonymity and ease of communication on the internet may make it easier for online predators to manipulate and groom their victims.

3. How prevalent are online predators?

It is difficult to determine an exact number, but studies have shown that a large percentage of children and teenagers have been approached or solicited by online predators. However, it is important to note that not all online interactions with strangers lead to dangerous situations.

4. What are some warning signs of an online predator?

Some warning signs include individuals asking for personal information, wanting to meet in person, or making sexual advances. They may also use manipulation tactics, such as flattery or gifts, to gain the trust of their victims.

5. How can individuals protect themselves from online predators?

Some ways to protect oneself include limiting personal information shared online, being cautious of strangers, and reporting any suspicious behavior to a trusted adult or law enforcement. It is also important to educate oneself and others about online safety and appropriate online behavior.