1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Releated rates question

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1937/38821874.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    in the picture

3. The attempt at a solution
    im really confused!
    im not sure if i did it right in the picture but i pretty much guessed them all.. (with thinking obviously)
    the first one is easy because its just multiplying the whole equation by q..
    dq/dt is the product/day right? so 180..
    for some reason, i think that q=40 and i cannot explain why not 180
    can someone please explain the problem to me? plzzzz!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, since selling q things for p dollars per thing, you make pq dollars, the total daily revenue is pq= q(40- q/180)= 40q- q2/180.

The marginal rate of revenue (as opposed to the average rate of revenue) is dR/dt= dR/dq dq/dt= (40- q/90)(dq/dt) and you are told that "daily production is 180" and that "A company is increasing production at 40 units per day" so q= 180 and dq/dt= 40. dR/dt= (40- 180/90)(40).= (40-2)(40)= 1520 dollars per day on that particular day.

No. q is the product/day. dq/dt is the rate of change of production per day and you are told that it is 40.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    oh thanks man!
    i kinda was doing the same thing just had the numbers mixed up.
    and i didnt know that dR/dq = (40- q/90).. i thought its dR/dt...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook