Relation between statistics and theoretical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between statistics and theoretical physics, as well as the role they play in theoretical research. However, there may be confusion about the definition of theoretical physics and whether statistics is a subset of it or a methodology within it. Without a clear understanding of the question and its intent, it is difficult to provide a clear answer.
Jianphys17
Hi at all, maybe it's a bit trivial. However, the question that i ask myself is ; that relation there is between statistics-probab theory & theoretical physics. What role does it play in theoretical research ?

(apart from the probabilistic amplitudes encountered in qm)

Thanks for the answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Statistical physics. For any sufficiently big system, exact answers are impossible and one cannily can only calculate the behaviour of the system on average.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
and one cannily calculate
lovely typo.(?)
North East England dialect word meaning various things - including 'cleverly' :smile:

Likes DrClaude
Jianphys17 said:
Hi at all, maybe it's a bit trivial. However, the question that i ask myself is ; that relation there is between statistics-probab theory & theoretical physics. What role does it play in theoretical research ?

(apart from the probabilistic amplitudes encountered in qm)

Thanks for the answers

First of all, I see a lot of possibility that there is a misunderstanding here, both on your part, and on my part in reading this.

The reason for this is that I have found that a lot of people don't quite have a clear idea of what is "theoretical physics", confusing it with being confined to just "String, GUT, TOE, elementary particles". In reality, "theoretical physics" is actually a vague area, because ANY area of physics, including "applied" ones, have theoretical components. This means that "statistical physics" can also already be a subset of this "theoretical physics", which makes the question rather puzzling. It is like asking if the aorta valve has any role to play in the human body. So this is something I am not sure that everyone who brings up the phrase "theoretical physics" is aware of.

Secondly, upon re-read your post, I am wondering if you actually mean "statistical analysis", i.e. the methodology, rather than the subject area.

Without a clear idea of the actual question and the actual intent of the question, I don't know if any clear answer can be given.

Zz.

Likes DrClaude
sophiecentaur said:
lovely typo.(?)
North East England dialect word meaning various things - including 'cleverly' :smile:
Arg, darn autocorrect (and me typing too fast, not hitting the keys in the right order). That should have been "can only".

ZapperZ said:
First of all, I see a lot of possibility that there is a misunderstanding here, both on your part, and on my part in reading this.

The reason for this is that I have found that a lot of people don't quite have a clear idea of what is "theoretical physics", confusing it with being confined to just "String, GUT, TOE, elementary particles". In reality, "theoretical physics" is actually a vague area, because ANY area of physics, including "applied" ones, have theoretical components. This means that "statistical physics" can also already be a subset of this "theoretical physics", which makes the question rather puzzling. It is like asking if the aorta valve has any role to play in the human body. So this is something I am not sure that everyone who brings up the phrase "theoretical physics" is aware of.

Secondly, upon re-read your post, I am wondering if you actually mean "statistical analysis", i.e. the methodology, rather than the subject area.

Without a clear idea of the actual question and the actual intent of the question, I don't know if any clear answer can be given.

Zz.
Oh, sorry, for statistics, i mean Statistical math along the probability theory ..

DrClaude said:
Arg, darn autocorrect (and me typing too fast, not hitting the keys in the right order). That should have been "can only".
A real 'monkeys and typewriters' one. How nice.

sophiecentaur said:
A real 'monkeys and typewriters' one. How nice.
o_O:DD

1. What is the role of statistics in theoretical physics?

Statistics plays a crucial role in theoretical physics by providing mathematical tools and methods for analyzing and interpreting data. It helps in making predictions and testing hypotheses, which are essential aspects of scientific research in theoretical physics.

2. How does theoretical physics use statistical methods?

Theoretical physics uses statistical methods to model and study complex systems, such as the behavior of particles and molecules. These methods include probability theory, statistical mechanics, and data analysis techniques. Statistical methods are also used to validate and refine theoretical models and theories.

3. What are some common statistical tools used in theoretical physics?

Some common statistical tools used in theoretical physics include regression analysis, hypothesis testing, Monte Carlo simulations, and Bayesian statistics. These tools help in analyzing data, making predictions, and testing the validity of theoretical models.

4. How does the relationship between statistics and theoretical physics benefit both fields?

The relationship between statistics and theoretical physics benefits both fields by providing a systematic and rigorous approach to understanding and explaining complex phenomena. Statistics provides theoretical physicists with tools to analyze and interpret data, while theoretical physics provides statisticians with real-world applications for developing and testing statistical methods.

5. Can statistical methods be used to make breakthroughs in theoretical physics?

Yes, statistical methods have been instrumental in making breakthroughs in theoretical physics. For example, the development of statistical mechanics played a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in thermodynamics. Additionally, the use of data analysis techniques has helped in making significant discoveries in fields such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics.