Calculating Particle Decay in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the momenta, speed, and mass of a meson that decays into two charged pions in the presence of a magnetic field. The formula for the pion's momentum in terms of the radius and magnetic field is discussed, as well as using the pion momentum and mass to find its energy and velocity. The meson's mass can be calculated by knowing the original angle between the two pions' momenta.
mt948434
hello everybody I am new too these forums and am looking for a little help on a problem. I don't want anyone to give me the answer so i will just post the basic question and any help would be appreciated.

If an uncharged meson decays into two charged pions in the presence of a magnetic field. If the mass of a pion, magnitude of the magnetic field and the radius of the pions path are all known, I need to find the pions momenta and speed, as well as the mass of the meson.

thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. There is a formula for the pion's momentum in terms of the radius and B.
2. Given the pion momentum, and knowing its mass, use the formula for the pion energy.
3. From p and E, you can find the pion velocity.
4. To get the meson's mass, you have to know the original angle between the two pions momenta. Then use [tex]M^2=(E_1+E_2)^2-({\vec p}_1+{\vec p}_2)^2[/tex].

thanks a lot for your help

1. What is relativistic particle decay?

Relativistic particle decay is a process in which a subatomic particle decays into smaller particles, releasing energy in the form of radiation. This process occurs when the particle is moving at speeds close to the speed of light, causing relativistic effects to play a significant role in the decay process.

2. How is relativistic particle decay different from regular particle decay?

In regular particle decay, the speed of the decaying particle is much lower than the speed of light, so relativistic effects are negligible. However, in relativistic particle decay, the particle is moving at speeds close to the speed of light, so relativistic effects such as time dilation and length contraction must be taken into account.

3. What is the role of special relativity in relativistic particle decay?

Special relativity is a theory that explains how objects moving at high speeds behave. It plays a crucial role in relativistic particle decay by predicting the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the decay process. These effects can significantly impact the decay rate and the particles produced in the decay.

4. What are some examples of particles that undergo relativistic particle decay?

Some examples of particles that undergo relativistic particle decay include muons, pions, and kaons. These particles are unstable and decay into smaller particles, usually accompanied by the release of energy in the form of radiation.

5. Why is understanding relativistic particle decay important?

Understanding relativistic particle decay is crucial for many areas of physics, including particle physics and cosmology. It allows us to study the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions, providing insight into the nature of the universe. Additionally, the energy released in relativistic particle decay can have practical applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatments.