1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reletivistic particle decay

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hello everybody I am new too these forums and am looking for a little help on a problem. I don't want anyone to give me the answer so i will just post the basic question and any help would be appreciated.

If an uncharged meson decays into two charged pions in the presence of a magnetic field. If the mass of a pion, magnitude of the magnetic field and the radius of the pions path are all known, I need to find the pions momenta and speed, as well as the mass of the meson.

thanks for any help!

2. Relevant equations
    conservation of reletivistic momentum and energy

E=gamma mc^2 p=gamma mv

3. The attempt at a solution

I am a little lost on how to get started on the question. I wrote out the equations for conservation of momentum and energy, but am a little confused on how to integrate the magnetic field and circular motion parts of the question.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    The magnetic field would affect the motion of the charged particles, essentially causing them to have circular motion--perhaps helical motion depending on the resulting momenta and magnetic field direction. This equation may help

[tex] \vec{F} = q\vec{v}\times\vec{B} = qvBsin\theta [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?