Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Reletivistic particle decay

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hello everybody I am new too these forums and am looking for a little help on a problem. I don't want anyone to give me the answer so i will just post the basic question and any help would be appreciated.

If an uncharged meson decays into two charged pions in the presence of a magnetic field. If the mass of a pion, magnitude of the magnetic field and the radius of the pions path are all known, I need to find the pions momenta and speed, as well as the mass of the meson.

thanks for any help!

2. Relevant equations
    conservation of reletivistic momentum and energy

E=gamma mc^2 p=gamma mv

a=v^2/R

3. The attempt at a solution

I am a little lost on how to get started on the question. I wrote out the equations for conservation of momentum and energy, but am a little confused on how to integrate the magnetic field and circular motion parts of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    The magnetic field would affect the motion of the charged particles, essentially causing them to have circular motion--perhaps helical motion depending on the resulting momenta and magnetic field direction. This equation may help

[tex] \vec{F} = q\vec{v}\times\vec{B} = qvBsin\theta [/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook