1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relevance to math grad school?

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    I will be taking linear algebra and number theory during the coming fall semester. I was also hoping to take a graduate level course in topology or analysis as well but because of time conflicts I cannot register for the class. My school does offer courses in set theory and logic and these are considered "graduate" level but it looks more like borderline advanced undergraduate level than anything. I really enjoy analysis and number theory. Would set theory or logic have any relevance? In particular, would they have any relevance to grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are certainly graduate level logic courses in the world (such as math 280 at Harvard which I rashly started to take as a freshman), but I cannot tell what level yours is. If it is really a senior level "proofs" course, it still has relevance if you are someone who needs some abstract proofs work. I.e. graduate work in math does require a mastery of basic sets and logic, but you imply you may already have that.

what about taking an advanced undergraduate course in topology or analysis?

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    The strongest undergraduate analysis course at my university is at the level of Spivak which I have already taken. Sadly enough, there is no undergraduate course in topology. The weakest topology course that they offer is at the "graduate" level which I suspect after talking with my professor about it, would be considered advanced undergraduate at most other schools. Of course, due to the strategic planning of this early April fool's joke, it conflicts with the timing of my required linear algebra course. After further inspection, I have also come to realize that the set theory course is also in conflict.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook