Reliability of Sources: Questioning & Rejecting

• Thread starter Glype11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sources
In summary, the message board moderator dismissed sources that contradicted their opinion, even though they were from actual experts in the field.
Glype11
I seen on another site where a user called out the site moderators for ignoring facts of science from a previous thread. They used what appeared to be reliable sources that went against the site moderators.

What got my curiosity level up is how the thread was closed quickly by the moderator saying anyone can find anything online. The problem is the sources weren't just some random info. Both were from actual people who appeared to be experts in the science in question. That got me curious about sources in science.

How can you make sure a source is reliable?
If the source is believed to be reliable, is there still room to question it or even outright reject it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Glype11 said:
Both were from actual people who appeared to be experts in the science in question. That got me curious about sources in science.

How can you make sure a source is reliable?
If the source is believed to be reliable, is there still room to question it or even outright reject it?
Real science is shared and discussed in peer reviewed journals, conferences and other professional settings, by people with names and verifiable resumes/track records. "In science..." isn't a thing on message boards, though we do try to approximate it here.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and Evo
Glype11 said:
Both were from actual people who appeared to be experts in the science in question.
Stephen Hawking was a reputable expert in physics. Nevertheless, A Brief History of Time is not science.

Likes Dale, Wrichik Basu, phinds and 1 other person
"Real" science is a knowledge based on an accumulation of carefully selected various peer-reviewed academic papers that is refined continuously by the intellectual community. So one or two sources usually don't negate what science has established. If it challenges current science, it merely adds to it, not completely reverse it.

So to answer the question, the only way you know whether a source is reliable or not is if you part of this community and understand in whole what current science is. For example, my research area is photophysical properties of lanthanides. So I can speak well about lanthanides, but I don't know much about chemical biology because I don't belong in that community and I don't share their knowledge. So I can relatively judge the reliability of a paper in my research area, but can't in chemical biology.

Likes Dale
fresh_42 said:
Stephen Hawking was a reputable expert in physics. Nevertheless, A Brief History of Time is not science.
The difference is the topic in question is not theoretical it's about a scientific law. So wouldn't it be safe to say that one side must be correct because scientific laws are not subjective?
HAYAO said:
"Real" science is a knowledge based on an accumulation of carefully selected various peer-reviewed academic papers that is refined continuously by the intellectual community. So one or two sources usually don't negate what science has established. If it challenges current science, it merely adds to it, not completely reverse it.

So to answer the question, the only way you know whether a source is reliable or not is if you part of this community and understand in whole what current science is. For example, my research area is photophysical properties of lanthanides. So I can speak well about lanthanides, but I don't know much about chemical biology because I don't belong in that community and I don't share their knowledge. So I can relatively judge the reliability of a paper in my research area, but can't in chemical biology.
I don't think the sources negate established science they just back how a scientific law is used.

By that I'm not part of the community so I guess I can't say anything about the sources.
russ_watters said:
Real science is shared and discussed in peer reviewed journals, conferences and other professional settings, by people with names and verifiable resumes/track records. "In science..." isn't a thing on message boards, though we do try to approximate it here.
The sources had verifiable resumes/track records. I'm sure the site moderator would have to be reliable as well but I can't find their actual name so I can't verify anything.

Glype11 said:
The difference is the topic in question is not theoretical it's about a scientific law. So wouldn't it be safe to say that one side must be correct because scientific laws are not subjective?
No. Even the term "scientific law" itself is problematic/debatable.
Glype11 said:
The sources had verifiable resumes/track records. I'm sure the site moderator would have to be reliable as well but I can't find their actual name so I can't verify anything.
But it's just a message board, right? The message board owner sets the rules and they need not have anything to do with how real science is done. Again, message board discussion is not how real science is done. If you're asking us to adjudicate a moderation dispute on another message board, we can't do that. If you ask a question on a scientific principle (in the appropriate forum), we can answer that.

Likes BillTre
Glype11 said:
Not at all. If you say "scientific law" then I expect a complete mathematical description of circumstances, assumptions, and measurements. A "law" is only valid in a combination with its scope.

I recently thought, that being a mathematician makes even everyday news complicated. If someone says that a study has shown ... then my first question isn't what it had shown; it is what database with which assumptions had been used. The result is totally irrelevant without that information.

Likes BillTre and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
But it's just a message board, right? The message board owner sets the rules and they need not have anything to do with how real science is done. Again, message board discussion is not how real science is done. If you're asking us to adjudicate a moderation dispute on another message board, we can't do that. If you ask a question on a scientific principle (in the appropriate forum), we can answer that.
It's a message board that is mostly about science similar to this site. They have a major rule to back up statements with valid evidence so for them to close a thread that has verified sources with thei reason used is very strange.

I agree, a message board is not how real science is done, but it can be how real science is duscussed.

I am looking to get a clear explanation on who is correct. I am user on that message board as well and I received negative reputation for using a verified source but the topic wasn't nearly as clear cut as the issue about the scientific law. If I learn from reliable sources that the site moderator was wrong then I wouldn't use that site again. I can understand why users from an outside site may not wish to openly question another site. I can't give it full context without showing all the quotes and sources.

Glype11 said:
It's a message board that is mostly about science similar to this site.
There is no way for us to figure out
a) what was going on
b) who made which decision
c) whether the decision has been justified or not
d) anything about the quality of that post

Glype11 said:
I am looking to get a clear explanation on who is correct.
The only way to get this information is to ask the persons in charge, not us.

Glype11 said:
I am user on that message board as well and I received negative reputation for using a verified source but the topic wasn't nearly as clear cut as the issue about the scientific law. If I learn from reliable sources that the site moderator was wrong then I wouldn't use that site again. I can understand why users from an outside site may not wish to openly question another site. I can't give it full context without showing all the quotes and sources.
We tried to show you, that "science" and "reliable sources" cannot always be pinned down on a black and white level. That is all we can do. The rest is guesswork. Not to mention, that someone simply might have had a bad day, or the poster had a history of similar posts. All those things might have been the case, and there is no way we can tell.

All we can say is, that such events are the main reason why we ask for the reference of a paper published in a reputable science journal or a textbook if in doubt. Both, publications as described and textbooks allow the readers to look for details and conditions, in or for which a statement has been made.

E.g. we have a list of what we understand as reputable journals:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/list-of-credible-physics-journals.802198/

Since the discussion has exhausted its given information, this thread is closed.

Likes DrClaude, Evo, berkeman and 1 other person

What is the importance of questioning and rejecting sources?

Questioning and rejecting sources is crucial in maintaining the reliability of information. By questioning the credibility, bias, and accuracy of a source, we can avoid spreading false information and ensure that only trustworthy sources are used for research or decision making.

How can I determine if a source is reliable?

There are a few key factors to consider when determining the reliability of a source. These include the author's credentials and expertise, the publication date, the presence of citations and references, and the overall reputation of the source. It is important to use multiple sources and critically evaluate each one for reliability.

What are some red flags that may indicate an unreliable source?

Some red flags to look out for when evaluating the reliability of a source include lack of author information, sensational or exaggerated claims, biased language or opinions, and lack of supporting evidence or citations. Additionally, sources that are outdated or from unknown or questionable websites should be approached with caution.

Why is it important to reject unreliable sources?

Rejecting unreliable sources is essential for maintaining the integrity of research and information. Using unreliable sources can lead to spreading false information, which can have serious consequences. It is important to critically evaluate sources and reject those that do not meet the criteria for reliability.

What steps can I take to ensure the reliability of my sources?

To ensure the reliability of your sources, you can take the following steps:

• Verify the credentials and expertise of the author or publisher.
  • Check for supporting evidence and citations to back up claims.
  • Compare information from multiple sources to identify any discrepancies.
  • Consider the publication date and relevance of the source.
  • Be aware of potential biases and evaluate the objectivity of the source.

By following these steps, you can increase the reliability of the sources you use for research or decision making.