Reliable site that can build me a custom computer?

In summary, the person is looking for a new computer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good, cheap processor and good sound card. They also don't want to spend more than $600.
wasteofo2
So, my current computer was bought in Summer 2001. It's got Windows ME, 1.5ghz P4 (not that bad), and 128mb of some weird type of Ram. Needless to say it's not all that good. So, I'm in the market for a new computer, and was wondering if any of you oh-so-smart people knew of any websites that could build custom computers that are equal or superior to Dells etc. for the same price or a lesser price. Also, if ya'll could, I'd like some reccomendations for specs that I should be looking for in this computer.

Here's what I need/don't need:
I don't play games like Counter Strike, or anything else that needs great graphics, and honestly, so long as I can see things clearly, graphics don't matter to me. However, I'm big into music, so I want a high quality sound card. Also, I record music on my computer, and music recording needs *lots* of memory to preform well (though I already have the program I use). A built in CD burner is essential, but I don't need a DVD drive or a DVD burner. When using the computer, I'm generally multi-tasking alot: playing music, having many websites opened at once, having conversations with people, downloading music etc., so I need something that won't crash on me when lots of stuff's going on. I've already got a fine set of speakers and a good monitor, so I don't need new ones.

What I was thinking I'd need:
2.5ghz AMD Athlon processor
512mb DDR Ram
80GB hard drive
Some form of Windows XP (unless there's a relatively cheap Mac out there)

Those four things are about as far as my computer knowledge goes. I don't really know how other things affect my computer and which are good/bad. So, any guidance is welcome.

Also, I wouldn't like to spend more than $600 on a new computer if that's possible. Again, it's just the CPU I'm looking for, not a monitor or any other peripherals.

Computer science news on Phys.org
With those limited requirements (mostly audio & editing, browsing) you could get away with just a new sound card and some more memory for your current rig...

The "weird" memory is probably Rambus which costs more than the common DDR stuff, but it would still be cheaper overall to just upgrade your current system.

Edit: from newegg.com you could get 2x256MB sticks of Rambus-800 for $170 and then a nice sound blaster audio card for ~$80 or less (going from my memory). So around $250 for 512MB Rambus and a top audio card.

Last edited:
Thing is, I'm running ME, with all the crap that entails...
I've thought of upgrading my memory and soundcard, since my processor's ok, but I'd still get all the random shutdowns and failings of ME. With upgrading to XP, I'd end up spending like $450, and at that price, I figure I'd better just get a new comp.

I have ME on a PC at work and it is dire! XP has its faults, but it can be a superb OS for a user who wants what you do.

I agree with the spec you list - and go for the best sound card you can afford. It is graphics cards that are expensive, so you should be able to get a very good system at a cheap price if you avoid 'top-notch' graphics cards.

To multitask, whilst playing quality music, buy the fastest processor you can afford. I too rate the Athlon - the new Athlon 64 processor looks awesome...

wasteof2, For $600 you won't get a system that would equal to or be better than Dell. Unless you like E-machines which are pretty cheap that's one thing I recommend though I've never used one.

Why not just get a Dell Dimension 3000. I configured one within the budget you mentioned and I got a measly $717 bucks.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_3000?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Here's the specs:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition - way, way better than crappy ME

2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr Technical Support

SAVE $50! 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz - more memory the better

160GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive - lots of space for your music

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Audio - good decent soundcard

No speakers

Dell keyboard and mouse - Free

Last edited by a moderator:
Build it yourself; all it takes is a Phillips screwdriver. If you’re timid, there’s always the HS nerd dying to demonstrate their technical expertise. Still apprehensive, go to a local computer show, many vendors will custom craft a PC for you while you watch. Google ”computer show” to find one in your local area. Definitely get rid of ME and buy the OEM version of Win XP Home Edition available at Newegg for about $90.00. There’s less expensive sites but Newegg is ultra reliable and has a “no questions asked “ return policy. For a DYI, it’s a good source for all PC components. AMD offers the best bang for the buck even if you believe the Intel “equivalent” is superior. I think it’s premature to go the 64 bit route due to lack of a windows operating system and other software but to be honest, Santa Claus is bringing me one (components only).

Building a computer for a total beginner or having somebody you don't know build it for you is too much hassle. You will run into problems. I don't recommend it, unless you truly know what you're doing.

1. How do I know if a site is reliable for building a custom computer?

A reliable site for building a custom computer will have a good reputation among customers and industry experts. You can also look for certifications and partnerships with reputable computer hardware brands.

2. Can I trust the quality of the components used in the custom computer?

Yes, a reliable site will use high-quality components from reputable brands. You can also check the specifications of the components used to ensure they meet your needs and preferences.

3. How long does it take for a custom computer to be built and delivered?

The time frame for building and delivering a custom computer can vary depending on the site and the complexity of the build. However, most reliable sites will provide an estimated time frame and keep you updated on the progress of your build.

4. Can I customize every aspect of the computer or are there limitations?

Most reliable sites will offer a wide range of customization options for your computer build, but there may be limitations depending on the availability of certain components or compatibility issues. It's important to communicate your specific needs and preferences with the site before placing an order.

5. What kind of customer support can I expect if I have any issues with my custom computer?

A reliable site will have a dedicated customer support team to assist you with any issues or concerns you may have with your custom computer. They should also provide warranties and after-sales support to ensure your satisfaction with your purchase.