Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Religion after Aliens?

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    Today I was wondering, what do you all think would happen if humans discovered aliens that were more intelligent than us? What would happen to religions that believe in God and such? Do you think people will think of them as the creations of the devil or something? What if they had evolved beyond war? Then would they be thought of as creations of the devil?

I have no clue what people would think.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    They would think that God put them there and then there would be rapid funding of NASA in order to send Bibles to the stars.

The Vatican already gave its stance on this issue: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/6536400/The-Vatican-joins-the-search-for-alien-life.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Dec 10, 2011 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you believe in a supernatural creator, why wouldn't you believe that it created them too? Ruling on this thread pending.

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

People who stubbornly hold beliefs will continue to believe no matter what evidence they see. They will assimilate the information into their world model, rather than accommodate their world model.

6. Dec 10, 2011 #5
    But aren't humans supposed to be created in the image of god? If god creates a different type of intelligent being, then wouldn't they think otherwise?

7. Dec 10, 2011 #6
    "We can't limit the creative freedom of God" - Vatican

8. Dec 10, 2011 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

What if the Earth was older than 5000 years... or their was no divine intervention and you could show how things happen through rational cause and effect. What if we found dinosaur bones.... then wouldn't they think otherwise?

I don't think so.

9. Dec 10, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

10. Dec 10, 2011 #9
    http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2861/alienst.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Dec 10, 2011 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plenty of people already believe aliens are here, so in part you can gauge the reaction to actual contact based on these beliefs. Some religious people assume "the aliens" are evil. Some believe they are only demons pretending to be aliens. Some think they are the angels mentioned in various religions. Some think they are the wizards behind the biblical God. Some think they actually started the human race. As with all things, each person would view the event through their own filter

One can even anticipate the interpretation based on the denomination. For example, fundamentalists tend to expect evil. New-age fundamentalists tend to expect deception. Protestants and Catholics tend to see us all as children of God. Mormons already believe in ET as a part of their religion [sheep that are not of this flock].

12. Dec 10, 2011 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm sure I've posted something to this effect before, but I can't find it. My apologies for repeating myself:

Which I translate as: do not have alien deities in my presence

Which implies there are many gods.

Which means there is no problem with aliens showing up that look like spaghetti.

13. Dec 10, 2011 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

seize the pastafarian!

14. Dec 10, 2011 #13
    What is meant by the phrase in the image of god? There really isn't a consensus among biblical scholars as to the meaning of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_of_God#Interpretation

15. Dec 10, 2011 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Time to put the thread down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook