Posting a New Thread in Religion Forum - Rules & Guidelines

• Thread starter lazycritic
  • Start date
In summary, the Religion forum is censoring certain religious topics in order to avoid insults and attacks. The majority of this forum is either Agnostic or Atheist, so it would make sense to create a Humanist forum where fundamentalist rhetoric is banned.
lazycritic
How do I post a new thread in the Religion forum?

please be advised that any topic dealing with religion that includes discussion of religious sects, current events of religion and especially preaching will be locked or deleted

That's some pretty harsh censorship. What's the point of discussing religion if discussion of certain sects is verboten? Godless spirituality is cool, but it's a topic that's linked very closely with the religious themes and sects of the past.

Hmm. Looks like the Archives=Religion. Looks mistitled. Or is that just me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the boards I'm on allows religious debates. One word: CHAOS. Some religious fanatics are just STONE DEAF. "Debate" is not really what happens in those forums.

lazycritic said:
How do I post a new thread in the Religion forum?

That's some pretty harsh censorship. What's the point of discussing religion if discussion of certain sects is verboten? Godless spirituality is cool, but it's a topic that's linked very closely with the religious themes and sects of the past.

Hmm. Looks like the Archives=Religion. Looks mistitled. Or is that just me?

The "harsh censorship" stems from some harsh members who chose to insult those of various religious sects so often we had to go this route. The negativity completed outweighed the positive contributions, so it's not worth censoring many different religious topics that have caused us mentors a lot of time and frustration because some members weren't able to refrain from insults and attacks due to their deeply rooted beliefs.

The majority of this forum seems to be Agnostic or Atheist. Why not make some sort of "Humanist" forum where fundamentalist rhetoric is banned. Most forums mold themselves around the opinions of the majority. Why not do the same here?

You're new.I don't know if u saw the two threads on the new pope we've had over the last month or so in General Discussion,but reading them will make see why locking,or even deleting,is the only option.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
You're new.I don't know if u saw the two threads on the new pope we've had over the last month or so in General Discussion,but reading them will make see why locking,or even deleting,is the only option.

Daniel.
Also, what people don't remember is that what they see is what hasn't been deleted or edited.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
The majority of this forum seems to be Agnostic or Atheist. Why not make some sort of "Humanist" forum where fundamentalist rhetoric is banned. Most forums mold themselves around the opinions of the majority. Why not do the same here?
Because what we want to discuss here in PF is physics (not religion)?

AFAIK, no one requires a poster to have (or not have) any particular religious bent to be able to post here in PF, merely to 'stick to the knitting' (i.e. physics).

We have members from many religions, and some of the mentors are Christians, including me. This is all a practical matter and not a philosophical statement of any kind.

Why do we even have a religion forum in the first place? Is there a shortage of religion forums elsewhere?

jtbell said:
Why do we even have a religion forum in the first place? Is there a shortage of religion forums elsewhere?

It's an archive of threads when we did allow such discussion.

In other words, some people who don't know any better, have been digging into very old thrash.

Zz.

Ha, you guys beat me to it. After I posted my question, I realized that I didn't remember even seeing a "Religion" forum, so I started to look for it, couldn't find it, scratched my head, and finally found it as a "hidden" forum underneath "Philosophy". So I figured it might be sort of like the relationship between the "General Physics" forum and the "Theory Development" forum.

Maybe TD and RF should be combined? :confused: :wink:

"Development" and "religion" have nothing in common...:tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
"Development" and "religion" have nothing in common...:tongue2:

Daniel.

Yes, they do. Both are common misconceptions.

Joel aka. wise ass (emphasis on ass).

lazycritic said:
That's some pretty harsh censorship.

Anyone else getting tired of being accused of censorship?
Is it so hard to conceive that we would prefer to discuss science at a science forum?

Phobos said:
Is it so hard to conceive that we would prefer to discuss science at a science forum?

Well, technically, it is censorship. I only take issue with it being called "harsh" censorship, since it's pretty obvious that this is a science site, not a religious site, so it's totally reasonable to prevent people from discussing religious topics here. Are there any threads left unlocked in there? If so, they probably should just be locked and the religion forum closed for good. I can understand a new user seeing a forum exists might not realize it's not a topic open for discussion anymore. So, just close it completely so there's no confusion on the issue.

This is a bit of a double sided sword, but maybe an explanation in the guidelines about why religious discussions isn't allowed and what the experience has been would prevent these questions in the future? (If it exists, I've just revealed my ignorance of not reading the guidelines. *whistles*) Or write up a FAQ to where you can point newcomers.
The other side of the sword is obvisouly, the more you type, there more there is to disagree about, which again may result in more discussion.

Joel said:
This is a bit of a double sided sword, but maybe an explanation in the guidelines about why religious discussions isn't allowed and what the experience has been would prevent these questions in the future? (If it exists, I've just revealed my ignorance of not reading the guidelines. *whistles*) Or write up a FAQ to where you can point newcomers.
The other side of the sword is obvisouly, the more you type, there more there is to disagree about, which again may result in more discussion.
You mean like this? :biggrin: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15840

Phobos said:

Yes I do actually, especially since when a new member clicks "accept", they are agreeing to participate in a private forum that claims we have the right to this. I think we mentors do not abuse this right, although I am sure someone can find room to disagree. Bottom line is, when we did have a religion forum, the petty arguing and insults really got old to sort through, took a lot of extra time and effort and didn't contribute anything positive.

And as Phobos said, this is a science forum, there are plenty of other forums that deal with the discussion of religion quite openly.

Last edited:
Evo said:
You mean like this? :biggrin: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15840

:redface:

Exactly! Thank you, Evo. Now, if it only where a pop up or a part of the logo, ignorant people like myself could have a chance. :smile:

Moonbear said:
Well, technically, it is censorship.

Technically, yes, but the connotation invokes Big Brother.
I echo Kerrie's response. o:)
Perhaps we're sensitive to it since both of us were mentors of the Religion forum at one time.

Phobos said:
And its intended to be insulting in this case. But life's too short to care about weak insults like that. And frankly, I just find it funny when people think what we do is so heinous to require characterizing it like that.

Phobos said:
I echo Kerrie's response. o:)
Perhaps we're sensitive to it since both of us were mentors of the Religion forum at one time.

Ah, well, just because there are people who think everything on the internet is intended to be their very own soapbox for preaching to the public (preaching not necessarily intended in a religious context), doesn't make it true.

dextercioby said:

Daniel.

As the author of these two threads, I must forewarn you and everybody my original intention was not to produce any argument against those who disagree with religion issues. I consider you an intelligent guy, and so you'll be able to read it carefully and you will realize there are few people who are interested in losing the respect to those who are believers. In addition to this, you will discover also direct attacks to catholic religion and my country for guys who are just those who had to be morally unabled to criticize any other religion than the one of them. This guy said also historical lies, writting and interpretating the history as he wanted, not as it really was. I am not going to allow this at all, and so he found me (and will find me) ready for fight.

Whatever,everyone involved was out of line and that's why we have the policy that we have.

Daniel.

What are the rules for posting a new thread in the Religion Forum?

The rules for posting a new thread in the Religion Forum are as follows:

• Posts must be related to religion or spirituality.
  • Respectful and courteous language must be used at all times.
  • No hate speech, discrimination, or personal attacks are allowed.
  • Do not post spam or advertisements.
  • Do not post links to inappropriate or offensive content.

Can I share my personal religious beliefs in a new thread?

Yes, you are allowed to share your personal religious beliefs in a new thread as long as it follows the forum rules and does not promote hate or discrimination towards any individual or group.

Are there any restrictions on the length of a new thread?

There are no specific restrictions on the length of a new thread, but it is recommended to keep your post concise and to the point. Long posts may be difficult for others to read and may not receive as much engagement.

Can I ask for advice on personal religious matters in a new thread?

Yes, you can ask for advice on personal religious matters in a new thread. However, please keep in mind that the responses you receive may be from individuals with different beliefs and perspectives, so be open to different viewpoints and respectful in your discussions.

What should I do if I see a post that violates the forum rules?

If you see a post that violates the forum rules, you can report it to the forum moderators or administrators. They will review the post and take appropriate action, which may include removing the post and issuing a warning or ban to the poster.