Religion vs. team spirit

  • Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date

Are you religious? Do you like team sports and activities?

  • I am religious, I prefer team sports and activities to individual sports and activities

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I am religious, I prefer individual sports and activities to team sports and activities

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I am NOT religious, I prefer team sports and activities to individual sports and activities

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I am NOT religious, I prefer individual sports and activities to team sports and activities

    Votes: 11 55.0%

  • Total voters
    20
  • #1
pattylou
303
0
Are you religious? Do you like being part of a team? I have a hypothesis on this, take the poll and give me some data. Data data data!
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Townsend
221
0
pattylou said:
Are you religious? Do you like being part of a team? I have a hypothesis on this, take the poll and give me some data. Data data data!

Do you think a poll at PF is a random sample?
 
  • #3
pattylou
303
0
Townsend said:
Do you think a poll at PF is a random sample?
No.

Do you think this is the only place I am gathering data? :tongue2:
 
  • #4
Evo
Mentor
23,925
3,264
What about people that don't play sports and don't like being part of teams?
 
  • #5
mattmns
1,118
6
Would you like out thoughts, or just the data, data, data!?
 
  • #6
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
I feel like a guinne pig
 
  • #7
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
I'm not sure how to answer. I dislike most sports, team or individual. I'm not into the competitiveness of playing against an opponent (team or individual). There are a lot of things I like to just do on my own, and I need a certain amount of individual quiet time to keep from getting edgy, but then, I also think some thing are best done as a team and then it's important to really function as a team and not a bunch of individuals all getting in each other's way as they all try to do the same thing without any coordination.

Oh, and I'm not religious, as if that's going to matter given my inability to give a clear answer on any of the rest of the question.
 
  • #8
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Evo said:
What about people that don't play sports and don't like being part of teams?

or people that like team sports but like individual activites. I was kinda leaning towards that idea until decided liking team both is a bit more accurate.

Also, if this is about "team spirit", Its not the reason I like team sports and activites. I like team sports because you can play a "role" and there's more strategy to those things normally and room for error.
 
  • #9
mattmns
1,118
6
Pengwuino said:
or people that like team sports but like individual activites. I was kinda leaning towards that idea until decided liking team both is a bit more accurate.

Also, if this is about "team spirit", Its not the reason I like team sports and activites. I like team sports because you can play a "role" and there's more strategy to those things normally and room for error.
Yeah I am with you on that.

I like team sports because I think sports are supposed to be fun, and playing games by yourself is not fun at all, imo. I like having some team members around to bs with and have some more fun. Although, I would like to start playing tennis. Also, the role aspect is cool too.

The only group activities I like in school are the ones that are not worth any part of my grade :smile:
 
  • #10
pattylou
303
0
If you don't like sports or activities, think about lab partners.

Do you like having them, or would you rather do the work on your own?

And yes, we're *all* guinea pigs, aren't we? :biggrin: :devil:
 
  • #11
Townsend
221
0
pattylou said:
No.

Do you think this is the only place I am gathering data? :tongue2:

Well, yeah...I admit it, that is what I thought. :blushing:
 
  • #12
Evo
Mentor
23,925
3,264
I rarely like "teams" at work because there is usually one, maybe two people that know what they're doing and the rest of the group are a burden.
 
  • #13
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
pattylou said:
If you don't like sports or activities, think about lab partners.

Do you like having them, or would you rather do the work on your own?

It depends on what needs doing. If I CAN do the work on my own, I will...why drag in more people to do something I can do myself, but if I can't do it on my own, or a team would make it more efficient, I work as a team. For example, with my research, if I need to do some immunocytochemistry in the lab or take a few blood samples from a sheep, I can do that on my own and it would make no sense to ask other people to do it for me and just introduce another potential source of variation. But, when we're doing surgery on a sheep or need to run an experiment all night, we absolutely MUST have a team effort. I like both. I take the lead on my experiments, and can play the part of the team player when helping with someone else's experiment. I also can equally enjoy curling up with a book or doing a jigsaw puzzle in peace and quiet as I can enjoy entertaining a group of friends for dinner, or to play games as a group...as teams or individuals.
 
  • #14
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
Evo said:
I rarely like "teams" at work because there is usually one, maybe two people that know what they're doing and the rest of the group are a burden.
I find that the effectiveness and enjoyability of working on a team is highly dependent on the team leader. If they put together a good team and really ensure the members work together as a team and are properly trained and motivated, it can be great to be a part of a team, but if the team leader gathers a bad group of people and doesn't make sure everyone on the team can actually do the jobs they need to do, or doesn't know how to motivate the team, then you run into those people who just drag the team down and leave you wanting to just club them over the head and do it all yourself.
 
  • #15
mattmns
1,118
6
Moonbear said:
It depends on what needs doing. If I CAN do the work on my own, I will...why drag in more people to do something I can do myself, but if I can't do it on my own, or a team would make it more efficient, I work as a team. For example, with my research, if I need to do some immunocytochemistry in the lab or take a few blood samples from a sheep, I can do that on my own and it would make no sense to ask other people to do it for me and just introduce another potential source of variation. But, when we're doing surgery on a sheep or need to run an experiment all night, we absolutely MUST have a team effort. I like both. I take the lead on my experiments, and can play the part of the team player when helping with someone else's experiment. I also can equally enjoy curling up with a book or doing a jigsaw puzzle in peace and quiet as I can enjoy entertaining a group of friends for dinner, or to play games as a group...as teams or individuals.
Yeah I think most people do immunocytochemistry by themselves :confused: :smile:
 
  • #16
Smurf
396
3
Patty, I don't play sports. I'm a GEEK. I like sitting down with a textbook on globalization when I go to bed.
 
  • #17
pattylou
303
0
Well, Smurf, you'd fall into group number four then.
 
  • #18
Smurf
396
3
how is that group four? Group four clearly states "I prefer individual sports and activities to team sports and activities"

I prefer not doing sports or activities at all.
 
  • #19
pattylou
303
0
And when you don't do them *at all* you are with yourself.

(iow given a choice between bowling on a bowling league, and bowling by yourself, which would you choose? staying home is not an option.)
 
Last edited:
  • #20
Evo
Mentor
23,925
3,264
Moonbear said:
I find that the effectiveness and enjoyability of working on a team is highly dependent on the team leader. If they put together a good team and really ensure the members work together as a team and are properly trained and motivated, it can be great to be a part of a team, but if the team leader gathers a bad group of people and doesn't make sure everyone on the team can actually do the jobs they need to do, or doesn't know how to motivate the team, then you run into those people who just drag the team down and leave you wanting to just club them over the head and do it all yourself.
In my environment there are no team leaders. It's groups formed of various specialists, all peers. If you get a loser assigned to work with you, it sucks. They try to deal everyone a fair share of losers, but the losers heavily outnumber the people that know what they're doing.
 
  • #21
pattylou
303
0
Also, see the alternative description for the poll, using the notion of lab partners, somewhere around post #10 on this thread.
 
  • #22
Smurf
396
3
pattylou said:
And when you don't do them *at all* you are with yourself.
Am I though? AM I? Playing sports and activities is not the only way to spend time with people. I'm quite partial to sitting down with my good friend Matt and discussing whatever philosophical issue someone made an issue of on PF that day.

I havn't had a lab since grade 11.
 
  • #23
pattylou
303
0
Alright, ornery guy, make your best choice then. I can't help you find it, you know it in your heart.
 
  • #24
Evo
Mentor
23,925
3,264
I went ahead and voted for 4. People that are religious would tend to favor gathering in large groups of like minded people. People that aren't religious don't need to be part of the herd. But sports brings out competitiveness. Being part of a team could just mean that you want a better chance of winning and have nothing to do with associating with a group. So I'm not sure what Pattylou is looking for because of the emphasis on sports as opposed to social support.
 
  • #25
Smurf
396
3
I voted three. Purely because number 4 was outnumbering everyone else by a long shot.
 
  • #26
Evo
Mentor
23,925
3,264
Smurf said:
I voted three. Purely because number 4 was outnumbering everyone else by a long shot.
You're skewing the results. :grumpy:
 
  • #27
Smurf
396
3
Evo said:
You're skewing the results. :grumpy:
hey, I wasn't going to vote at all, but she told me to. My heart told me to help the little guy, what can I say? :rolleyes:
 
  • #28
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
pattylou said:
If you don't like sports or activities, think about lab partners.

Do you like having them, or would you rather do the work on your own?

Depends. If they are stupid and don't know what they are doing, it sucks. It's helpful if they are good though because you can have a backup to check your procedures and results and to spread the work load around.
 
  • #29
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Smurf said:
I voted three. Purely because number 4 was outnumbering everyone else by a long shot.

I always considered smurf a statistical anomaly
 
  • #30
Smurf
396
3
Pattylou, have you read up on Emile Durkheim's experiments? If my assumptions are correct he probably has some interesting data you might want to look at.
 
  • #31
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,371
4
I'm not religious and I prefer both individual and team sports. I can't vote.
 
  • #32
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
Pengwuino said:
Depends. If they are stupid and don't know what they are doing, it sucks. It's helpful if they are good though because you can have a backup to check your procedures and results and to spread the work load around.
Yeah, I had both in college. In my biology labs, I usually wound up in groups with totally crazy people who knew their stuff and worked efficiently...we had a great time in labs working as teams. I also had fun partners in my general physics labs. In the few chemistry labs where we had to work with a partner or in a group though, I seemed to wind up partnered with the pyromaniac in the class who couldn't be trusted to do anything right. I hated that and ended up just doing everything myself while trying to keep my partner away from the bunsen burner.
 
  • #33
TheStatutoryApe
260
4
Evo said:
I went ahead and voted for 4. People that are religious would tend to favor gathering in large groups of like minded people. People that aren't religious don't need to be part of the herd. But sports brings out competitiveness. Being part of a team could just mean that you want a better chance of winning and have nothing to do with associating with a group. So I'm not sure what Pattylou is looking for because of the emphasis on sports as opposed to social support.
There are people who play sports that enjoy having teams not just because they will help you win but because they like the idea of being part of a team. I'm in the number four like you so I couldn't say that I really understand it but I know there are people like that.

I'm a loner for the most part. When I play a game of some sort I invariably prefer to work on my own so I play games like billiards and chess.
And I'm not religious ofcourse.
 
  • #34
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
pattylou said:
And when you don't do them *at all* you are with yourself.

(iow given a choice between bowling on a bowling league, and bowling by yourself, which would you choose? staying home is not an option.)
:rofl: They won't let me on the league, I can only bowl gutter balls. :rofl: :biggrin: How do you count it if I sit on the sidelines and watch my friends play?

I think the only conclusion forming here is that non-religious people are pains in the butt when it comes to choosing poll options. :biggrin: :rolleyes:
 
  • #35
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
JasonRox said:
I'm not religious and I prefer both individual and team sports. I can't vote.

Yah... not all the choices are present :P
 

Suggested for: Religion vs. team spirit

Replies
2
Views
342
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
865
Replies
5
Views
380
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
581
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
538
Replies
9
Views
561
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
847
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
911
Replies
9
Views
746
Top