Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Religious Faith and Will Power

1. May 7, 2003 #1
    I think as long as you are not superstitious, religious faith can be manipulated by you to strengthen your will power, to give you confidence to face challenges of life, to be optimistic, so that you can achieve success in life.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2003 #2
    But what is faith?

“Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.” - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
  4. May 7, 2003 #3
    (hey there boulderhead... has been awhile) Faith is belieing in what is unseen....
  5. May 7, 2003 #4
    Why, Mr. Bill, it is so good to 'see' you!
    I was 'watching' as you changed your avatar and was excited for you to make a post so I could say Hi!

I'm hoping you can get me interested in religion again (debunking it that is, )
  6. May 8, 2003 #5

Science Advisor

How can one not be superstitious and have religous faith? You believe in things that are unseen, unproven, and more then likely made up. That is, a superstition.

from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=superstition

And how is it that your idea would work any better then having faith in oneself to pick yourself up off the floor and try again? You can wait on a superstitious being to fix all your problems or you can do it yourself. If you would then like to credit your choice of gods with you taking care of yourself, that is your perogitive.
  7. May 8, 2003 #6
    Religious faith gives strength in that it may ensure that people live more conventional lives- as they do not want to reap bad judgement in heaven.

It chains people to a particular lifestyle though.
  8. May 8, 2003 #7
    And I see such behavior as acting out of fear, not love.

“Atheists would teach men to be moral now, not because God offers as an inducement reward by and by, but because in the virtuous act itself immediate good is insured to the doer and the circle surrounding him.” - Charles Bradlaugh, 1864, /A plea for atheism/
  9. May 8, 2003 #8
    Like child molestion? Suicide bombing? Burning "infidels"? Crusading?
  10. May 8, 2003 #9

Are optimism, and strong will power really desirable? To every strong man, there will always be a group to follow, a group to be conquered. Success often emerges from the failure of others, and the path of the self-righteous is a perilous one... for everyone else.
  11. May 9, 2003 #10
    Faith vs. Understanding

From the thread, A proof for the existence of God? ...

What does the acknowledgment of something through one's understanding have to do with faith?
  12. May 9, 2003 #11
    Saint; I think your righ, all though we don't have to manipulate faith to make us stronger. Faith does that all by itself. Having faith makes us stronger better and wiser people. Keep working at it you get there. When faith become conviction and conviction becomes a way of life then we have truly grown to mature beings. Megashawn needs to read his difinition a little closer him/herself.
  13. May 10, 2003 #12
    As saying goes, where there is a will, there is a way.
  14. May 10, 2003 #13
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.
    -- Ambrose Bierce
    “Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.” - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?