Religious poll

• Thread starter yyttr2
  • Start date
drizzle
Gold Member
And here I just figured you meant you wished you could understand science.

:rofl: ........... okay that was funny, but for SURE that's not what I meant :grumpy:

I really wanna understand this part

This is a type of cognitive dissonance as known in psychology, where one can hold contradictory beliefs in ones head.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is a type of cognitive dissonance as known in psychology, where one can hold contradictory beliefs in ones head.

Cognitive dissonance is the feeling or emotion caused by holding contradictory beliefs in one's head.

Danger
Gold Member
In formal terms: Semi-militant agnostic.

Wrong. An agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a supreme being. I uncompromisingly deny even the remote possibility thereof.

Well.. I wasn't raised in any particular religion, I don't really believe in organized religion and I don't necessarly believe in one thing in terms of religion. I agree with parts of pretty much every religion.

If I had to pick one, or make one up, I'd say either wiccan, buddhism, or a mixture of both. So maybe wicchism? haha... I would probably pick buddhism because the entire religion isn't based around a 'God'. It's based on choices you should make in life based on what is 'best' or 'the right thing to do'. You don't do it because 'God' wants to you or that it will get you into heaven. You do it to reach Nirvana, which is a state of being free from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukkha" [Broken] [or dukkha] by following the Noble Eightfold Path.

In any case! The fact that it's not based around any sort of deity or God is what draws me to it.

Wicca because of my belief in the manipulation/useage of life energies. This kind of follows buddhisms interpretation of Ki, which I believe in as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to point out, that the christian bible was not written as absolute truth, but was written as a book of stories on how humans should behave(IE help each other out, be kind, give to the poor and helpless, et cetera, et cetera.)

There was a man named Jesus, its historical fact. Wether or not he cured a blind man is a matter of opinion.

Since when can a person believe in a "God" and not believe in science? I never knew there was a rule that said that.

Wrong. An agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a supreme being. I uncompromisingly deny even the remote possibility thereof.

"Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the differences between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief. As such, the term agnostic does not necessarily signal a particular view about religion or a deity, as some agnostics also identify as theists or atheists."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism" [Broken]

To support your point.

Although being an atheist is a form of agnosticism, so I don't think it really matters much which one you say, except to the general understanding of the populace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to point out, that the christian bible was not written as absolute truth, but was written as a book of stories on how humans should behave(IE help each other out, be kind, give to the poor and helpless, et cetera, et cetera.)

There was a man named Jesus, its historical fact. Wether or not he cured a blind man is a matter of opinion.

Since when can a person believe in a "God" and not believe in science? I never knew there was a rule that said that.

The following comment will probably get this thread locked. (However I believe the above is sufficient to warrnt a lock anyway as you are stating to push details).

The bible also advocates, slavery, murder, rape and pillage in the 'name of god' or by gods direct command. Not really something to live by.

ALL religions generally have a 'code of conduct' that ALL say basically the same thing.

Only the characters are different.

Danger
Gold Member
I don't think it really matters much which one you say, except to the general understanding of the populace.

That's precisely why I use the terminology that I do. To almost anyone, the term 'agnostic' implies some openness to the subject which inevitably leads to someone trying to tell me what I believe.

ideasrule
Homework Helper

You should really check up the definition of "science" first. By definition, you cannot scientifically claim to believe in God. I think everybody here, religious or not, would agree with that.

Dembadon
Gold Member
Agnostic.

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This thread seems to moving towards value judgements of belief systems, and Physics Forums rules state
Discussions that assert the a priori truth or falsity of religious dogmas and belief systems, or value judgments stemming from such religious belief systems, will not be tolerated.

I have closed the thread.