Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Religious valedictorian sues Nevada school

1. Jul 15, 2006 #1

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

link

The school did this because of a 9th district court of appeals ruling that proselytizing in public school speeches is forbidden and is to be censored. What does the forum think? Reeks of overbearing authority to me, but it's not like she was cut off while speaking out in the street. The school gave her the stage and the mic and the audience and she really doesn't have any right to say beyond what they let her say.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2
    It depends on what context she said it. If she said "I want to thank jesus, Jesus gives me strength" that's fine. If she was preaching about how we should all love Jesus and worship him, exit stage left!

4. Jul 15, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh nevermind, after reading the full article....

Since it's a public school, it's pretty much their job to make sure a school doesn't appear to be endorsing any religion.

Do we ever actually bother to read anything cyrus...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  5. Jul 15, 2006 #4
    "invitations for others to join the faith"

Wow! That's messed up.

6. Jul 15, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Students in schools do not have the freedom of speech that citizens in public do. Neither do soldiers in the army or employees at work. In all these cases there is legal authority to squelch, censor, bleep and delete speech that is incompatible with the authority's purposes. And this is all part of US law and conformable (say the courts) to our constitutional liberties.

The Cardinal of Chicago can't go with a bull horn and hector women going into an abortion clinic either. He calls it counseling and considers the ban a restriction on his freedom of speech.

7. Jul 15, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think this comment posted by Pengwuino pretty much defeats her arguement. She was warned, and this is not an issue of free speech. She was granted a privilege to speak to an audience - she did not invite the audience to hear her speech. Students' speeches are generally reviewed (consored in some cases) for content and quality.

If McComb had been speaking at her church, or at a function in which people were invited to hear her speak on the subject of her choice, then that would be an entirely different matter.

8. Jul 15, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And bottom line, the school can't show a favoritism towards any religion. Bottom line, not up for debate or interpretation.

9. Jul 15, 2006 #8
    I don't think she has much in the way of legal grounds. It was not her venue, nor was it an open venue. The school I feel was well within their rights to not allow her to use a commencement ceremony to solicit her religion.
    This is a really graphic, forget the context, all this talk of blood and pain. :yuck:

I don't like the image that comes to mind when I think of blood covering my um....er.....shortcomings? :confused:

Personally I am open to all religious teaching. However I would be offended if I had gone to see my child's commencement ceremony and were subjected to some sort of gospel revival instead. Not that there is anything wrong with a gospel revival, just that I would feel as if I were being tricked. A little like bait and switch.

Even if I were going to hear a christian sermon I would prefer something that were not so full of ambiguious and emotionally charged words, phrases, and mental images.

I find concept of "sacrifice" to be antithetical to most other concepts and values perpetuated by religious mores.

10. Jul 15, 2006 #9
    I find it rather intolerant to ban someone from speaking because they express their religious beliefs. Those same people who want to ban this are usually the first to push things like tolerance classes for homosexuality.

They want to stop children from singing Christmas songs at school but at the same time they want to rewrite textbooks to show homosexual couples as a normal relationship.

It often seems that people's ideas of tolerance are very much one sided.
    They want others to be tolerant about the things they believe in while at the same time they show intolerance for things they disagree with.

:smile:

11. Jul 15, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hate the word "tolerance". It's just a BS word that basically means "everyone must believe what i believe". I don't see why they don't just call it that.

But you do have to admit... if they did allow it, it was close enough to a school endorsing a religion for it to be unconstitutional.

12. Jul 15, 2006 #11
    Well I do not see someone speaking about "Christ this" or "God that" in a speech on a school as the school is endorsing a religion.

What kind of a message do we give the children when someone starts to talk about "God ......" and the plug from the mic is pulled? Do you think we teach them tolerance? Do we perhaps teach them tolerance when we force them to attend a gay tolerance class instead?

Again, people's ideas on tolerance are often very one-sided.

13. Jul 15, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, religion ought to be rated R! :biggrin:

14. Jul 15, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well, ya know, rulings like that are meant to target the studipest type of human that can go "oh wow, the school's valedictorian is talking about christianity and asking me to join and im too weak minded to resist!" so you need to really just cover as many bases as you can by banning things like this.

15. Jul 15, 2006 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heck, do we teach them tolerance when we force them to answer in an exam that the earth is billions of years old, when their preacher tells them that it is a few thousand, and that misrepresenting the true word of god is a sin?

16. Jul 15, 2006 #15

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't sound like that's why she was banned. It sounds like she was banned from speaking because she was expressing her religous beliefs in an official, school-endorsed context.

17. Jul 15, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The weak minded and the people that insist that someone's blood is their ticket to heaven...but I repeat myself.

18. Jul 15, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

See, thats why i hate the word "tolerance". Total crap. Tolerance is being open to all ideas. Being practical means having to pick one idea and teach it less you want Tom Cruise coming into your classroom explaining the facts of psychology. Schools are practical, not tolerant.

19. Jul 15, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How intolerant of you :biggrin:

20. Jul 15, 2006 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I missed out on those tolerance classes. To me tolerance is about how carefully I need to machine a part.

21. Jul 15, 2006 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well you offended me within 0.005mm. Jerk. Use digital.

haha use digital.. oh man that reminds me back in one of my physics labs... we were talking about uncertainties and we were asked "how could we get more accurate measurements" and we go "use a digital device" and when the professor asked "how does digital guarantee more accurate readings" and we just stared at eachother.

Good times...

But anyhow back to the subject... this lawsuit is as stupid as those idiots who demand war memorials be removed of anything resembling a cross.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?