Rely on the State (UK) and you will die poor

  • News
  • Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date
  • #1
GENIERE
The Times October 28, 2005
Rely on the State and you will die poor, figures show

BY NICOLA WOOLCOCK

… half of working age people will rely solely on the State in their old age, according to government figures published yesterday that reveal the full extent of the pensions crisis.
.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
..... oooook....

does this series of words have a website associated with it?
 
  • #3
Archon
The figures may show, but I'm having trouble seeing the figures themselves...need links.
 
  • #4
Skyhunter
GENIERE said:
The Times October 28, 2005
Rely on the State and you will die poor, figures show
BY NICOLA WOOLCOCK
… half of working age people will rely solely on the State in their old age, according to government figures published yesterday that reveal the full extent of the pensions crisis.
.
A link would be nice.

I remember an argument that the UK pension privatization is similar to Bushco's idea for SS.
 
  • #5
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
Well the way its going we're never going to find out. And I had no idea Bush was actually a corporation. Sounds very immature.
 
  • #6
Skyhunter
Pengwuino said:
Well the way its going we're never going to find out. And I had no idea Bush was actually a corporation. Sounds very immature.
Bushco=Bush and company. He rarely makes decisions, he is manipulated by his handlers. It is inaccurate to characterize his decisions as his own so I use the term Bushco.

Harriet Miers is a good example of why he rarely makes his own calls.
 
  • #7
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
Skyhunter said:
Bushco=Bush and company. He rarely makes decisions, he is manipulated by his handlers. It is inaccurate to characterize his decisions as his own so I use the term Bushco.
Tell that to the liberals on this board, they'll eat you.
 
  • #9
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
Never understimate our laziness
 
  • #10
Skyhunter
Pengwuino said:
Tell that to the liberals on this board, they'll eat you.
There are worse fates than being eaten by a libleral.:tongue2:
 
  • #11
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
Skyhunter said:
There are worse fates than being eaten by a libleral.:tongue2:
Yah, like being attacked by a mob of little festering drooling children.:surprised
 
  • #12
GENIERE
Evo - Please delete posts 6, 7, 9, 10, 11
 
  • #13
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
lol there we go turning threads into crap again
 
  • #14
GENIERE
and #13:biggrin:
 
  • #15
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
185
81
And the situation looks to be different in the US?

Time Magazine - The Great Retirement Ripoff
Past union victories haven't turned out as beneficial to employees as they might have thought.

New airlines that aren't carrying around the same retirements benefits burdens as the old airlines are driving the old into bankruptcy - where the old airlines bail out of their pension obligations and re-emerge from bankruptcy more streamlined and better able to compete. Of course, the alternative is the company just goes out of business completely, once again leaving retirees holding the bag. Now, other industries are beginning to see how they, too, can be more competitive against a lot of their domestic and foreign competitors.

That's one reason I liked the idea of 401(k)'s and other private retirement plans. Of course, the average person seems to cash theirs in every time they change jobs and never really build up a retirement plan (that's their fault).

Suffice it to say, there will be a huge number of baby boomers relying on those Social Security checks, hoping future workers don't start electing Congressmen willing to cut Social Security benefits. I'm not sure how realistic that hope is.
 
  • #16
russ_watters
Mentor
19,951
6,441
BobG said:
That's one reason I liked the idea of 401(k)'s and other private retirement plans. Of course, the average person seems to cash theirs in every time they change jobs and never really build up a retirement plan (that's their fault).

Suffice it to say, there will be a huge number of baby boomers relying on those Social Security checks, hoping future workers don't start electing Congressmen willing to cut Social Security benefits. I'm not sure how realistic that hope is.
Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, and agreed. Did I miss anything?
 
  • #17
BobG said:
That's one reason I liked the idea of 401(k)'s and other private retirement plans. Of course, the average person seems to cash theirs in every time they change jobs and never really build up a retirement plan (that's their fault).
Suffice it to say, there will be a huge number of baby boomers relying on those Social Security checks, hoping future workers don't start electing Congressmen willing to cut Social Security benefits. I'm not sure how realistic that hope is.
Pity about all those funds that invested in Enron.:frown:
 

Related Threads on Rely on the State (UK) and you will die poor

Replies
14
Views
1K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
72
Views
19K
Replies
30
Views
4K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
3K
Replies
10
Views
2K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
2
Replies
49
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
680
Replies
86
Views
11K
Top