1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remainder/factor theorem

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Once again I'm stuck....
    Find a and b if x^4+ax^3-2x^2+bx-8 is divisible by x^2-4.

3. The attempt at a solution

x can be + or - 2 so P(2)=0 and P(-2)=0
    I don't think I can solve these simultaneously since everything will cancel so how am I supposed to find a and b? Should I be trying to find another factor or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
  4. Sep 22, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you are exactly right. There is no single answer. For example, suppose a= b= 0 so the equation is x^4- 2x^2- 8= (x^2-4)(x^2+ 2) which is divisible by x^2- 4. However, if a= 1 and b= -4, so that 8a+ 2b= 0, the equation is x^4+ x^3- 2x^2-4x- 8= (x^2- 4)(x^+ x+ 2). That is also divisible by x^2- 4!. In fact, it is divisble by x^2- 4 as long as 8a+ 2b= 0. That is, as long as b= -4a.
  5. Sep 22, 2007 #4
    So I can't really give just one value for a and one value for b? The back of the book says a=3,b=-12 but is this just one set of solutions?

Thanks for the replies!
  6. Sep 22, 2007 #5
    Your two equations are correct.
    When you have a system of equations like that, and everything cancels out, you end up with an infinite number of solutions. Pick a value for a, let's say 1. If a=1 then b = -4. Or, if a=3, then b=-12. Try these two polynomials to see if they're both factorable.

If you try a couple of polynomial (and maybe make up a couple more), you can do two things:
    1. Write down the relationship between a and b (you should be able to do that from the equations you already had.)
    2. See if you can develop a relationship between the choices of the polynomial and the quotient after long division.

As far as (2.) goes, you should be able to show this same relationship by doing a long division.
  7. Sep 22, 2007 #6
    Ahhhh, I'm a little slower with the typing than Halls of Ivy.

Yes, the answer in the back of the book is just one of many possible solutions.
  8. Sep 22, 2007 #7
    Woah that's so cool! Well not "cool" but you know... Thanks for the explanations!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?