Understanding the Remainder Theorem for Polynomial Division

In summary, the student is having trouble completing a homework division problem. They are not sure how to complete the problem, and they are looking for help. The remainder when -3x^3 + 5x - 2 is divided by x is -2/x.
Jen23

Homework Statement

What is the remainder when -3x^3 + 5x - 2 is divided by x?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to complete this one, I would assume that it is the same as x+0? How would you divide the last term, (-2). Please show your steps as this will help me a lot! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jen23 said:

Homework Statement

What is the remainder when -3x^3 + 5x - 2 is divided by x?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to complete this one, I would assume that it is the same as x+0? How would you divide the last term, (-2). Please show your steps as this will help me a lot! Thanks!
Please show us your steps. Then we can comment on the situation.

Is it bothering you that a remainder is negative? (b/c, not allowed for integer division.)

Question seems strange. Usually you want to divide by a binomial or some other polynomial. Here your divisor is to be just a monomial.

(-3x^3+5x-2)/x

-3x^2+5-2/x

Remainder, if that's what it is, looks like -2/x.

See that your given polynomial dividend does not show a factor of x.

SammyS said:
Please show us your steps. Then we can comment on the situation.

Is it bothering you that a remainder is negative? (b/c, not allowed for integer division.)

-3x^3 / x = -3x^2
0x^2 / x = +0x
5x / x = 5
-2 / x = 0 <---- (I think I solved this one incorrectly but not quiet sure. Would the answer just be -2/x sine we cannot divide it?)

Therefore the quotient that I get in the end is -3x^2 + 5. My remainder ended up being -2.
Sorry if my format is incorrect, it's difficult to type out long division on here.
I know that it is a negative, and I double checked to see if I had written the question correctly, which I did. This is a practice question from the book and I just needed help solving it.

Jen23 said:
-3x^3 / x = -3x^2
0x^2 / x = +0x
5x / x = 5
-2 / x = 0 <---- (I think I solved this one incorrectly but not quiet sure. Would the answer just be -2/x sine we cannot divide it?)

Therefore the quotient that I get in the end is -3x^2 + 5. My remainder ended up being -2.
Sorry if my format is incorrect, it's difficult to type out long division on here.
I know that it is a negative, and I double checked to see if I had written the question correctly, which I did. This is a practice question from the book and I just needed help solving it.
Your quotient and remainder are correct.

Jen23 said:

The "remainder" terminology is a little difficult. I don't know if you should say the remainder is -2 or -2/x. It's one or the other. I suspect that -2 would be better to call a remainder, since "remainder" is usually not divided by the divisor when integer long division is done.

If you take a polynomial ##P(x)## and divide it by polynomial divisor ##D(x)## to get a Quotient ##Q(x)## and a remainder ##R(x)## the result of your division can be written$$
P(x) = Q(x)D(x) + R(x)$$In our case$$
-3x^3+5x-2 = (-3x+5)x -2$$and the remainder is ##-2##, not ##\frac {-2} x##.

Likes I like Serena, SammyS and FactChecker
To make the sense clearer, try any simple example of regular whole number division having a remainder. Remind yourself of how the remainder is related to the divisor. Further my trying to discuss this would be messy but still you'll get the right understanding without my trying to. You can also re-read what your College Algebra book shows you about Rational Roots theorem and how it discusses your polynomial, divisor, roots, and remainders.

What is the Remainder Theorem problem?

The Remainder Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that when a polynomial function is divided by a linear function of the form x-a, the remainder is equal to the value of the original function at x=a. In simpler terms, it helps us find the remainder when dividing a polynomial by a linear factor.

How is the Remainder Theorem used in real life?

The Remainder Theorem has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to find the remainder of a division in a circuit analysis problem or to model population growth in economics.

What is the difference between the Remainder Theorem and the Factor Theorem?

The Remainder Theorem and the Factor Theorem are closely related concepts, but they have different purposes. The Remainder Theorem helps us find the remainder when dividing a polynomial by a linear factor, while the Factor Theorem helps us find the factors of a polynomial.

What are some common mistakes when solving a Remainder Theorem problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to add the remainder at the end of the problem. Another mistake is not using the correct form of the linear factor (x-a) when dividing the polynomial.

How can the Remainder Theorem be applied to solve higher degree polynomial problems?

The Remainder Theorem can be extended to solve higher degree polynomial problems by using synthetic division. By repeatedly applying the Remainder Theorem, we can reduce the degree of the polynomial until it can be factored or until we reach a linear factor that can be used to find the remainder.