1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remember e ?

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. Some one here remember what e's exact value is ? How long is the after.point.digits extended by mathematicians ?

2. e=2.79

3. I just remember e=2.79, I am not sure of such also

Thanks for any answer

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    e^1 = 2.718281828

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No one here (or in fact, anywhere) remember's e's exact value. :smile:

Its decimal representation has infinitely many digits after the decimal point, with no repeating pattern.

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I do. It's "e". The fact that, in a particular numerical representation, it has an infinite number of digits has nothing to do with "remembering" it.

6. Oct 29, 2008 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In that case, I remember the exact values of pi and phi as well. However, I (reasonably) inferred from lonton's question that he meant the decimal representation.

7. Oct 29, 2008 #6

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

HallsofIvy is correct about the variables being the only exact way of expressing the most accurate value; however, without being sarcastic, I assume you just want a list of digits, which is available through NASA. I don't think that there is a "typical" amount of digits that people round to, although I do know that the College Board requires final answers to be accurate to three decimal places - so just pick whatever will still get you that accurate if you're not in a really advanced math class or doing this for your job (in that case, use as many as possible).

I just keep things in "e" form, though, if that makes sense. It's more exact.

8. Oct 29, 2008 #7

Avodyne

Science Advisor

2.7 1828 1828 45 90 45 235 360

I memorized these digits of e many years ago. The repeating block 1828 is a big help, of course; this is followed by three well known angles (in degrees), followed by the course number of the calculus class I happened to be taking at the time, followed by another well known angle.

I've never been able to memorize the next digit, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?