Remember IE only opens one window at a time?

In summary, IE only opens one window at a time, which can be problematic when trying to open a new window. Google " Browser Helper Object (BHO) " to see which programs are taking over your browser, and be wary of popup advertisements.
Gale
remember "IE only opens one window at a time?"

ya, i had a thread like that a few months ago, that went horribly off topic, (discussions of why i should get rid of IE and switch to firefox or whatever...)

anyway, problem hasn't been fixed... matter of fact.. its worse. now, if i want to open a new window, the window I'm in freezes up, and the new one goes to my homepage. this happens when i click a link... or whatever... its really really annoying, especially because now i have 7 frozen pages up all over my desktop. i went to download adaware, but it can't find the .exe file. don't know why... i can try downloading spybot i guess... and maybe some other stuff... but i dunno. this sucks pretty hard core.

any advice or suggestions? its my family computer that i don't really use much... but my laptop, (see other thread) is currently retarded.
SO THANKS...

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use an anti-virus and spybot and adaware... that's all i can say :D

Check for a new version of IE maybe? Get updates? Give your computer a hug? Works for me sometimes

I think people should not use IE all together. You may want to try installing SP2, it fixes a lot of problems in windows and IE.

:rofl:

Yeah I have to agree with dduardo. My dad uses IE and I got tired of helping him with that, so I taught him how to format his hd and reinstall windows, so now whenever he gets anything he does that. Moral of the story don't use IE!

ddurado hit the nail on the proverbial head here. You should reload windows, download firefox set it as your default browser and forget IE is even on your system unless you come across the few odd sites that (UGH!) require that you use IE.

How does the old Chinese proverb go?

"Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me."

Go get Autoruns from http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/autoruns.html
to see what starts up on your computer. Google any strange program names... there are websites that tell you about them... whether they are harmful or not. Autoruns can help you disable them. http://castlecops.com/CLSID.html has a list of Browser Helper Object (BHO) that may have taken over your broswer.

Never click on popups... especially those things that offer to set my homepage or offer me a "free utility" for my computer.

As has been suggested here and elsewhere, upgrade to the newest version of IE :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Autoruns, is a very nice tool ;-)

right on, dduardo. firefox owns IE

1. Why does Internet Explorer only open one window at a time?

Internet Explorer has been designed to only allow one window to be open at a time as a security feature. This prevents malicious websites from opening multiple windows and potentially causing harm to your computer.

2. Can I change the setting to open multiple windows in Internet Explorer?

No, the ability to only open one window at a time is a built-in feature of Internet Explorer and cannot be changed. However, you can open multiple tabs within the same window to access multiple websites.

3. Is this feature specific to certain versions of Internet Explorer?

Yes, this feature is specific to Internet Explorer versions 8 and below. In later versions, such as Internet Explorer 9 and above, you can open multiple windows at the same time.

4. How can I open a new window in Internet Explorer if I can only have one open at a time?

You can use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+N" to open a new window in Internet Explorer, even if you already have one open. Alternatively, you can right-click on a link and select "Open in new window" to open a new window with that link.

5. Are there any benefits to only having one window open in Internet Explorer?

Yes, having only one window open can help improve the performance and stability of Internet Explorer. It also makes it easier to navigate and switch between different websites by using tabs instead of separate windows.