Solving for Unknown Numbers in a System of Equations

• Thread starter barcat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the student takes a test in Pre-Algerbra and remembers a question that went like this. "The sum of two numbers is 8" "The sum of these numbers squared is 40" "What are the numbers?" Is the inital equation that I came up with right/wrong? If they have the same variables...how can you not?
barcat
I just took a test in Pre-Algerbra. I remember a question that went like this.

"The sum of two numbers is 8"
"The sum of these numbers squared is 40"
"What are the numbers?"

Is the inital equation that I came up with right/wrong?

[tex](x^2+y^2)+(x+y)=(40+8)[\tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK...my latex is not working
WHY

You used the wrong slash. You wanted /

And while what you wrote is correct (assuming x and y denote your two numbers), I wonder why you wrote two assertions as one equation.

"What are the numbers?"

Is the inital equation that I came up with right/wrong?

[tex](x^2+y^2)+(x+y)=(40+8)[/tex]

OK...I don't know why I did this. I'm afraid I do this too often.

"I wonder why you wrote two assertions as one equation."

what does this mean?

In the problem, there were two statements:

So it seems odd that your mathematical model only has one statement:

[tex](x^2+y^2)+(x+y)=(40+8)[/tex]

are you referring to that this can also be written like-

[tex](x^2+y^2)+x+y=48[/tex] ?

barcat said:
are you referring to that this can also be written like-

[tex](x^2+y^2)+x+y=48[/tex] ?

No he means that there are two separate statements and you have no reason to combine them, so why are you?

Ok...like most of the other students in my class...I have know idea of what you are talking about. Are you saying to write it like this-

[tex](x+y)^2+x+y=48[/tex]

my major problem in understanding this is understanding the terminology.

"No he means that there are two separate statements and you have no reason to combine them, so why are you?"

If they have the same variables...how can you not?

Are you saying-

[tex](x+y)^2+x+y=48 ?[/tex]

Last edited:
Is there a differnce if I write it like-

[tex](x^2+y^2)+x+y=48[/tex]

did I say something wrong?

"No he means that there are two separate statements and you have no reason to combine them, so why are you?"

If they have the same variables...how can you not?
Very easily: by not doing it.

Is there a differnce if I write it like-
x² + y² is certainly different than (x + y)². (But that has nothing to do with what we're saying)

Too many ridles...I have been at this for 4 days.
Are you saying that there are 4 different variables?

I think you have the variables right: one variable for each of the numbers you're looking for.

But the problem made two statements about them. So, you should have two equations!

OH...X is the answer to the first statement, and Y is the answer to the second?

The first step is not to answer the question. The first step is to translate the question into a mathematical problem.

[tex]x+x=8[/tex]
and
[tex]y^2+y^2=40[/tex]

OK...how about this-

[tex]x+y=8[/tex]
and
[tex]x^2+y^2=40[/tex]

I think that looks reasonable. If, indeed, you mean for x and y to each denote one of the numbers you're looking for, then that seems to be a translation of

Anyways, now that the job of translation is done, you can start worrying about how to solve the system of equations!

barcat said:
OK...how about this-

[tex]x+y=8[/tex]
and
[tex]x^2+y^2=40[/tex]
Now that you have a system of 2 equations, and you can solve for the 2 unknowns.
You should note that to solve for n unknowns, you need at least n equations.
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} x + y = 8 \quad (1) \\ x ^ 2 + y ^ 2 = 40 \quad (2) \end{array} \right.[/tex]
From equation, you can solve x in terms of y, i.e x = 8 - y.
Substitute that to equation (2), and solve for y, then substitute y back to the equation x = 8 - y to solve for x.
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
Looking back at some of my earlier attempts at this, I found that I came up with these equations early. I found also that I was unable to answer this because of the lack of understanding how to manipulate the terms to arrive at a statement that I understood. I am not looking for someone to give me the answer, but to help understand the entire process of solving the equation. Thanks for you help...I will continue to work on the underlying mechanics. I still have not solved the equation. I will post my work soon with hope that you will offer enlightenment as to how I am mechanically performing this equation wrong.
Barry

gah!
x+y=8
x=8-y
(8-y)(8-y)+y(sqaured)=40
hence, y=2 or 6.
haha..u jus got outbeateb by a 14 year old kid...haha..lol...jus kidding...back to seriousness now...

No, for God's sake! He is saying, repeatedly, that there are two statements and so you should have two equations!

Let x and y be the two numbers.

What equation does that give?

What equation does that give?

You now have two equations for two unknowns. It should be easy to solve the first for x in terms of y. Substitute that for y in the second and solve the resulting quadratic.

substitute (8-x) for y in the 2nd equation. turn that expression into a perfect square trinomial. combine like terms, divide by 2, form quadratic, test solutions.

Last edited:
I see my response didn't get listed until after you had done what I was trying to say. Yes, "the sum of two number is 8" give the equation x+ y= 8 and x2+ y2= 40. Yes, x= 8- y and substituting that into x2+ y2= 40 gives a quadratic equation for y which has roots 2 and 6.

However, to correctly solve the problem, you must also find x. What is x?

1. What is a "Remembered Test Question"?

A "Remembered Test Question" is a question that is designed to test your memory and recall of previously learned information. These types of questions are commonly used in exams and assessments to evaluate a person's understanding and retention of a topic.

2. How are "Remembered Test Questions" different from other types of test questions?

"Remembered Test Questions" are different from other types of test questions because they specifically focus on testing a person's ability to remember information, rather than their ability to apply or analyze it. They often require you to recall specific details or definitions, rather than solve problems or provide explanations.

3. What strategies can I use to improve my performance on "Remembered Test Questions"?

Some strategies that can help improve your performance on "Remembered Test Questions" include reviewing material frequently, organizing information in a way that is easy to remember, using mnemonic devices, and practicing active recall techniques such as flashcards or practice tests.

4. Are "Remembered Test Questions" an accurate measure of knowledge?

While "Remembered Test Questions" can be a useful tool for assessing memory and recall, they may not always accurately reflect a person's overall knowledge on a topic. Other types of test questions, such as application or analysis questions, may provide a more comprehensive evaluation of understanding and mastery.

5. How can I prepare for "Remembered Test Questions" in a time-pressured setting?

To prepare for "Remembered Test Questions" in a time-pressured setting, it is important to practice efficient studying and memorization techniques. This may include creating concise notes, using visual aids, and practicing active recall strategies. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the format of the test and the types of questions that may be asked.