Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remembering Ronald Reagan

1. May 20, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Insanity is hereditary: You catch it from your kids - Ronald Reagan

[in his personal diaries just released]

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of these are great!

- Ronald Reagan

4. May 20, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For all who remember the days of Reagan, this may be quite interesting - a review of his newly released diaries. It reminds of why Reagan was so loved and why I respected him so much: What he valued most was his integrity. No matter how I felt about any particular decision, for me this always shined in him.

[One reason that I like Obama so far is that I get hints of the same thing from him.]

See the second half of Meet the Press from this morning.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  5. May 20, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Reagan impressed me because he actually followed through (or at least made an attempt) on his campaign promises. He came across as a very likeable person.

6. May 20, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Ronald Reagan should have stayed in show business, and Bush should have stayed in Texas.

7. May 20, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He did! :biggrin:

8. May 20, 2007 #7

Astronuc

in California.

9. May 20, 2007 #8
  10. May 20, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, let's take one of your quotes
    "We're not building missiles to fight a war.
    We're building missiles to preserve the peace." Ronald Reagan

He did help to end the cold war, and he and Gorbachev nearly managed to eliminate all missiles, but I assume that you weren't even a twinkle in your mamas eye back then.

11. May 20, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll take an actor with integrity over a rich brat with none any day of the week.

12. May 20, 2007 #11

Astronuc

I wish I could agree on Reagan's integrity, but I saw another side. He was not quite honest, and his support for groups like the Contras (and other illegal CIA activities in Latin America) and certain dictators, including Saddam Hussein, who violated human rights in various countries is problematic.

13. May 20, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Astro, I'll move these posts to the Remembering Reagan thread a little later.

My take on that is that he may have done things that I disagree with, but after watching the Iran-Contra hearings, I was convinced that he always did what he thought was right, and people around him like BUSH were ultimately responsible for any genuine wrong doing. In fact, this goes back to the origins of my disdain for Bush I. Unfortunately, Bush II is in a league of his own.

You might be interested in knowing that my support of Reagan almost caused Tsu and I to split. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?