Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remembrance Day

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1

Danger

Gold Member

A tip of the hat to our vets, both surviving and not.
    LEST WE FORGET
    And now I must off to the Legion to prepare for tomorrow's ceremonies.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

Remembrance day?

tomorrow is veteran's day :p

4. Nov 11, 2005 #3
    rememberance day is Canada's version of veterans day. actually its quite a bit different

5. Nov 11, 2005 #4
    lol. Canada's version of everything is quite a bit different

6. Nov 11, 2005 #5

ek

Lest we forget those who gave their lives to preserve the freedoms we enjoy today.

I'll be at the local cenotaph. I encourage others to go as well. But if you can't make it, at least make sure you take a minute or two at 11:00 to remember those who fought.

And don't forget to wear your poppy if you're going anywhere.

7. Nov 11, 2005 #6

ek

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

-Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD - Canadian Army

8. Nov 11, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We can't celebrate Veterans Day because we might offend someone

9. Nov 11, 2005 #8
    Not far from where I am right now, there are many many many cemeteries (One has my Grandfather in it, he was a navigator for a pilot for the British Air force, and was shot down 3 months before the end of WW2) dedicated to all the known and unknown soldiers that died in WW2. I have also been to Normandy recently, and the Nazi defenses are still there, and the allied bombs still scare the green fields. Not far from there, you can still see the trenches from WW1..

If I can I'll post some pictures...

We should never forget this day, so another day like this will not happen again

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  10. Nov 11, 2005 #9
    Please tell me that's sarcasm...:uhh: :uhh:

11. Nov 11, 2005 #10
    sadly, no.

12. Nov 11, 2005 #11
    What's the deal then? It's ludicrous to not be able to celebrate a holiday. Who's offended by Veteran's Day?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  13. Nov 11, 2005 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Editorial from my local newspaper.

14. Nov 11, 2005 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

But you can't not have it without offending the veterans... Thats quite a conundrum... Actually, its not a conundrum, its just rediculous.

15. Nov 11, 2005 #14
    Well, I'm not exactly offended. I'm apposed to all types of armed services and disargee with everything these people fought and possibly died for. Although I respect their courage, it is not something I would even consider celebrating. But honestly I don't care what other people celebrate.

16. Nov 11, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

One serious difference between the Canuk and Yank approaches to the day is highlighted in Astro's quote. We do not seek to spread democracy; we seek to uphold peace and prevent the spread of tyranny. You would never catch us invading another country because we don't approve of their political structure. If they try to impose that structure upon someone else, then we'll step in to prevent it.

17. Nov 11, 2005 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

How on earth is that a difference in the holiday? Veteran's Day is not a celebration of any particular foreign policy or war. It's a day to remember and celebrate all US veterans of war that survived. Then on Memorial Day we celebrate and remember those who died. Should we exclude from consideration those veterans who served in the War of 1812 (entirely defensive war) or those who served in the Spanish-American War (entirely offensive war) because their war doesn't fit into our ideological view of what war should be?

18. Nov 11, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I was going by what the editorial said. It merely points out the difference between an aggressive or a defensive military posture.
    We restrict it to one holiday. It honours all past and present military personnel, police officers, and fire/rescue workers, with particular emphasis on those no longer with us.

19. Nov 11, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yeah, and it's not talking about what the holiday actually means, it's just explicating the writer's personal opinion that we should use the holiday to push his political agenda.

Well, that is an actual difference between the holidays. You honor all of those who served. We only honor the survivors today.

20. Nov 11, 2005 #19
    Its not a celibration, and it certainly is not to remember Americans ONLY. It is a day to remember ALL those who fought and died during the Great War.. One thing History has taught us is that we have short memories... Nobody wants what happened during the 1st world war to happen again, and one way to stop this from happening again is to highlight and remember what happened on the day it ended.

21. Nov 11, 2005 #20
    What was it that Lord Acton said:

"power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Dont think Canada is immune to this, its a flaw with Man, not a nation of Men…

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?