Using Reme's Algorithm to Find q2(x) for ex on [-1,1]

• Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the task at hand is to find the quadratic approximation, q2(x), for the function f(x) = ex on the interval [-1,1] using Reme's second algorithm. This involves choosing n+2 points in the interval, solving a linear system for the coefficients, and then using these coefficients to find the minimax approximation. The values for the coefficients and the points can be found using methods such as Newton-Raphson.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Find q2(x) for f(x) = ex on [-1,1] using Reme's second algorithm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first iteration:
Step a of the algorithm gives a0 = 0.989141, a1 = 1.130864, a2 = 0.553940 and E = 0.0443369. The question I am asking is how do I get these values from using step a of the algorithm before I can carry on with the algorithm.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a clearly stated problem, but I know what you are trying to do because it is a common practice problem.
we desire a minimax quadratic approximation to exp(x) on [-1,1]
a0+a1 x+a2 x2
such that the maximal norm
||-ex+a0+a1 x+a2 x2||
is minimized
we begin by chosing n+2 points (with n=2 because it is quadratic) in [-1,1]
often Chebyshev points are chosen so we have {-1,-.5,.5,1}
we solve the linear system
a0+a1 (-1)+a2 (-1)2-E=e-1
a0+a1 (-.5)+a2 (-.5)2+E=e-.5
a0+a1 (.5)+a2 (.5)2-E=e.5
a0+a1 (1)+a2 (1)2+E=e1
for a0,a1,a2,E
and find
a0=.98914107
a1=1.1308643
a2=.55393956
E=.044336860

Cheers heaps.
Now for step 2.
z0 = -1.0, z1 = -0.438621, z2 = 0.560939, z3 = 1.0
For these zi: f(z0) - q(z0) = -0.0443369
f(z1) - q(z1) = 0.0452334
f(z2) - q(z2) = -0.0452334
f(z3) - q(z3) = 0.0443369
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I think I got it. Firstly I solve f(z) - q2(z) = 0 using Newton-Raphson method to get z1 & z2 where z0 = -1.0 and z3 = 1.0 always stay the same getting the numbers required.

Do you mean solve f'(z) - q'2(z) = 0 ?
Newton-Raphson method is often used, but other methods may also be used.
Keep steping until your abscissa and error are as saccurate as desired.

How to find zi?

1. What is Reme's algorithm and how does it work?

Reme's algorithm is a method used in numerical analysis to find the q2(x) approximation for a given function on a specific interval. It works by using polynomial interpolation to find a polynomial function that closely matches the original function on the given interval.

2. Why is Reme's algorithm useful for finding q2(x) for ex on [-1,1]?

Reme's algorithm is particularly useful for this specific problem because the q2(x) approximation for ex on [-1,1] is difficult to calculate using traditional methods. Reme's algorithm provides a more accurate and efficient solution.

3. How do you implement Reme's algorithm to find q2(x) for ex on [-1,1]?

To implement Reme's algorithm for this problem, you would first need to choose a set of points within the interval [-1,1] to use for the polynomial interpolation. Then, you would plug these points into the algorithm to find the coefficients of the polynomial function. Finally, you would use these coefficients to calculate the q2(x) approximation for ex.

4. What is the degree of the polynomial used in Reme's algorithm?

The degree of the polynomial used in Reme's algorithm can vary depending on the desired level of accuracy. However, it is typically a low degree polynomial (2 or 3) in order to keep the computation time and complexity manageable.

5. Can Reme's algorithm be used for other functions and intervals?

Yes, Reme's algorithm can be used for a wide range of functions and intervals. However, the choice of points for polynomial interpolation and the degree of the polynomial may need to be adjusted depending on the specific function and interval being analyzed.