1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remnance of cast iron vs steel

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does it seem reasonable that a machine which has, up until now, been used for machining steel parts without, apparently, leaving them magnetised could be causing low level magnetisation of the same parts when made of cast iron? There are some DC currents flowing in the machine, apparently but suspect that they've not been high enough to magnetise the steel bits.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

Lok

Could be.

Stainless steel does not magnetize (depending on Ni content).
    If the process of machining cast iron happens around 770'C magnetization can occur.

Why are there DC currents flowing through the machine?

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it gets this hot in this machine but I'll enquire.
    This isn't stainless steel that I'm comparing it with.
    The DC, I think, is in the drive motors. This is a huge machine making car engine parts but I only know of the problem second hand.

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

Lok

Machining is a very hot process at least where the metal is cut, that is why they use cooling liquid. What type of machining does it do?

Fix the DC (safety first) and then see if it Cast Iron gets magnetized. Cast Iron has 2.1-4% in carbon, so it is easily magnetized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook