Designing a Remote Control: Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation is about designing a remote control. The speaker is looking for information on how to go about designing one and mentions that most remote controls use a 40khz carrier modulated with the output of a UART. They also suggest using a computer's com port to modulate the carrier. One person asks for clarification on whether they mean reprogramming a remote or creating one from scratch. The conversation then shifts to using a handheld device with an infrared port to program a remote for a TV. The original speaker clarifies that they are trying to make a remote for general purpose use, such as controlling devices like a tubelight or fan. They have images prepared for what it would look like. Another person asks where they can find
heman
Has anyone here happened to design a remote control...
I am just into it...so i am looking for information to understand how can we go about doing it..

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most (not all) IR remote output is a 40khz(about) carrier modulated with the output of a UART.
You could possibly use your computers com port to modulate the carrier if you can adjust the output word size large enough.
IIRC remotes use 10 or 12 data bits to the normal computer setting of 8 bits.

sorry for interruption, by designing a remote control, do you mean, reprogramm a remote or create your own from scratch?

If you have a Handheld, such as a pocket PC, then you can use its infrared port to program a remote control, for a TV for example. There are programs available for download that do this, don't know of any open source ones though. My Dell Axim has an infrared port.

we(i and my friend) are actually trying to make it for general purpose..like for devices like tubelight,fan,etc.etc.

i have actually prepared images what it would look like

where can i find the remote controller reprogramming programs heartless?
what ifi want to do ,for ex:a remote controller for a certain tv brand,say a toshiba tv remote works with other brands?such as(lg,samsung,sony,hitachi,etc),i want to make the one use remote to be more wide use for many kinds of tvs,how can i do this?
thanks in advance_:)

1. How do I choose the right type of remote control for my device?

The first step in designing a remote control is to determine the type of remote control that will best suit your device. Some common types include infrared, radio frequency, and Bluetooth. Consider the range, compatibility, and functionality of each type before making a decision.

2. What are the essential components of a remote control?

A remote control typically consists of a microcontroller, buttons or keys, an LED display, and a power source. The microcontroller is the brain of the remote control, while the buttons or keys allow the user to input commands. The LED display shows the current status of the remote control, and the power source provides energy to the device.

3. How do I program a remote control to work with my device?

To program a remote control, you will need to obtain the appropriate codes for your device. These codes can usually be found in the user manual or by searching online. Once you have the codes, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to input them into your remote control.

4. How can I ensure that my remote control has a strong and stable connection?

The strength and stability of a remote control's connection can be affected by various factors such as distance, interference, and battery life. To ensure a strong and stable connection, make sure to keep the remote control within the recommended range, minimize potential sources of interference, and regularly check and replace the batteries.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when designing a remote control?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when designing a remote control. Make sure to use appropriate materials and components, follow safety guidelines and regulations, and test the remote control thoroughly before use. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the remote control to ensure safe operation.