Removing Bayer Filter from Camera CCDs

• Thread starter sauroman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, this person is trying to make a black and white camera and is having trouble with two ccd's. One stopped working after being damaged and the other doesn't seem to work at all. He is also trying to find out if it is possible to make a monochrome ccd without risk of losing the microlens.
sauroman1
Hello, I want to make B&W camera, for UV photography. I already destroyed two ccd's by trying to remove it. First stopped working after tiny golden wires were damaged. About second ccd I don't know. When I putted it into smartphone, in camera mode it showed black image. It seems that I didn't cut wires, but just short circuited with another or maybe I damaged pixels with screwdriver. I'll check latter
Problem is that it is impossible to remove bayers filter chemically(I used acetone), only by using something sharp. When I rubbed ccd with cotton and acetone, first I got matted surface and later red, I couldn't go further I know that acetone is powerful organic solvent, so is it possible that dyes are inorganic?

Nuotrauka0043.jpg

Fresh ccd, that thing on surface is not wire.
Nuotrauka0051.jpg

Sensor after scrapping

Engineering news on Phys.org
No suggestions?

sauroman1
This looks like a very interesting project and I have no suggestions for you other than perhaps post this in the astronomy board. Monochromatic CCDs appear to be common in that field.

I'm afraid you won't have any choice but to use a chemical or vapor strip process. The tools involved in grinding over the surface of a die are extremely fine, and you won't be able to replicate this with a knife.

If your in college, I suggest going by the chemistry department and attempting to get help from a grad student or prof.

They have the proper chemicals, tools, and means of disposal to make short work of your project.

The trick is to find the proper solvent / reagent. I've had ok luck with with methyle-ethyle-ketone (MEK) and great luck with methylene chloride when disolving stubborn polymers. Just be sure to use it in the lab with the proper support. It's bad stuff to use without a hood. Also, watch out that you don't eat your packaging.

Best Regards,

Mike in Plano

I bought used JVC camcorder and will try to find out if CCD module can be manufactured that already would be monochrome, without risk and loosing microlens.

Also impossible to remove on JVC camcorder rubbing with acetone and scrapping with blade, but on older camcorder I easily removed it. Maybe that sensor has glass plate on top of CFA?

1. What is a Bayer filter?

A Bayer filter is a color filter array (CFA) placed over the image sensor of a digital camera. It is made up of red, green, and blue color filters arranged in a specific pattern to capture color information from the scene being photographed.

2. Why would someone want to remove the Bayer filter from a camera CCD?

Some photographers or scientists may want to remove the Bayer filter to capture more accurate and detailed color information from the scene. This is especially important for scientific research or professional photography where color accuracy is crucial.

3. How is the Bayer filter removed from a camera CCD?

The Bayer filter is typically removed by physically scraping or etching away the filter from the surface of the CCD. This process requires specialized tools and should only be done by professionals or experienced individuals to avoid damaging the sensor.

4. What are the potential consequences of removing the Bayer filter?

Removing the Bayer filter can result in an increase in light sensitivity and a wider color gamut, but it can also lead to an increase in noise and potential loss of sharpness in the image. Additionally, removing the filter will permanently alter the sensor and cannot be reversed.

5. Is removing the Bayer filter legal?

Removing the Bayer filter is not illegal, but it may void the warranty of the camera and can potentially damage the sensor if not done correctly. It is important to consult with the manufacturer or a professional before attempting to remove the filter.