Removing a Stuck Rusted Screw: Easy Out or Drill?

• Appliances
  • Thread starter austinmca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screw
In summary, the Easy Out can be used to remove screws that are stuck but the screwdriver must be inserted into the hole until the shoulder on the tap touches the screw head.
austinmca
How would one go about removing this stuck, rusted screw? Its tip size is 5/8". I tried using an impact driver, but that didn't work. Should I just try to drill through it to break it?
For context, I am getting rid of this old sink.

Physics news on Phys.org
first item in this video?:

Without a photo, it's hard to answer. Is your impact driver a hand impact driver like this?
Impact Driver.jpg

Did the screw not move? Did it break off? Did the head strip out? Did the screwdriver break?

I have had several stuck screws that this impact driver would not move, and the screw head stripped. In those cases, I had to drill out the screws.

Likes dlgoff and jim mcnamara
I have had that problem. My solution: Use my Dremel with a flat sanding disk (creating a micro angle grinder) and use it to make a deep slot. Then use an impact driver to loosen the screw.

Likes Tom.G and Bystander
Svein said:
I have had that problem. My solution: Use my Dremel with a flat sanding disk (creating a micro angle grinder) and use it to make a deep slot. Then use an impact driver to loosen the screw.
(I usually use the thin cutoff discs.)

Just to expand on @Svein 's post:
  1. When cutting the new slot, undercut a little bit -- that is, make the base of the slot a tiny bit wider than the top. This helps keep the screwdriver tip engaged in the slot.
  2. The Impact driver should be the type you hit with a hammer, not the powered rotary type. This keeps the screwdriver in the slot during the active time.

Cheers,
Tom

austinmca said:
Is this the usual wall mount screw with that plastic wall plug?

Torch the screw to melt the plastic.
Drawback: stinks.
Be careful with fire safety.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
austinmca said:
How would one go about removing this stuck, rusted screw? Its tip size is 5/8". I tried using an impact driver, but that didn't work. Should I just try to drill through it to break it?
Us it feasible to use what I believe is called an Easy Out?
That's a tapered tapping die with a left-hand thread.

1. How do I remove a rusted slotted screw?

To remove a rusted slotted screw, you can use a few different methods. One option is to apply a penetrating oil, such as WD-40, to the screw and let it sit for a few minutes before attempting to remove it with a screwdriver. Another option is to use a screw extractor tool, which can grip onto the screw and help turn it out. You can also try using a drill with a screwdriver bit to power through the rust and remove the screw.

2. What causes a slotted screw to rust?

Slotted screws can rust due to exposure to moisture or humidity, as well as contact with other metals or chemicals. Over time, the iron in the screw can react with oxygen and water to form rust, which can make it difficult to remove the screw.

3. Can I prevent a slotted screw from rusting?

Yes, you can prevent a slotted screw from rusting by using a rust-resistant material, such as stainless steel, for the screw. You can also apply a protective coating, such as a rust-inhibiting primer or paint, to the screw. Additionally, keeping the screw dry and avoiding exposure to harsh chemicals can help prevent rust.

4. How can I remove a rusted slotted screw without damaging the surrounding material?

If you are concerned about damaging the surrounding material while removing a rusted slotted screw, you can try using a heat gun to warm up the screw and loosen it from the material. You can also use a hacksaw or rotary tool to carefully cut a slot into the screw head and then use a flathead screwdriver to turn it out.

5. What should I do if the rusted slotted screw won't budge?

If the rusted slotted screw is still not coming out after attempting various removal methods, you may need to use a more aggressive approach. This could include using a hammer and chisel to break the screw, drilling it out completely, or seeking professional help from a handyman or mechanic. It's important to use caution when using these methods to avoid injury or damaging the surrounding material.