1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Removing a gass: Pressure ?

1. Jul 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a container we have a gas, at P = 11.0 atm & T = 20.0 C. We remove 2/3rds of the gas and increase the temperature to T = 75.0 C.What's the pressure of the gas that remains?

2. Relevant equations

PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution

Normally this would be a regular "put the numbers in the formula" exercise, but I'm having trouble understanding just what "remove 2/3rds of the gas" means. If the gas was, say, a block of wood, I'd be removing 2/3ds of its mass. With that logic, I figured it was the n (moles) that were decreased, and that the volume V was kept the same (same container). But I didn't get the wanted result from this, so I was wrong.

Then I figured maybe the change happens so fast that the gas doesn't manage to spread and have the same Volume again, so both n & V should be n' = n/3 & V' = V/3. That didn't work either. So I'm kinda stuck on what that phrase means.

Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2017 #2
    I think you're original method is on the right track, but you didn't include your final answer in your post, so I'm going to have to guess that what I did here is different.

Pretty much baked into the definition of the gas is the property that it expands to fill any container, so I wouldn't worry about changing the volume of the gas. Besides what if I took molecules randomly out of the gas instead of scooping out the top [itex]2/3[/itex]? That's also a viable interpretation of "remove [itex]2/3[/itex]."

The first thing we need to do is solve for [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] in terms of the initial quantities. Doing so gives [itex]P_i/T_i[/itex]. Now we need to solve for [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] in terms of the final quantities, where [itex]n_f=n_i/3[/itex]: [tex]P_fV=n_fRT_f=\frac{n_iRT_f}{3}[/tex] so [itex]n_iR/V=3P_f/T_f[/itex] Now we equate the two representations of [itex]n_iR/V[/itex] and solve for [itex]P_f[/itex]: [tex]\frac{P_i}{T_i}=\frac{3P_f}{T_f}[/tex] so [itex]P_f=P_iT_f/3T_i[/itex]. At this point, feel free to plug in the numerical quantities and count your sig figs. Right now it looks like if you plugged everything in as is, you'd get a pressure in [itex]\text{atm}[/itex], so no need to change units unless you really want to.

4. Jul 27, 2017 #3
    That's exactly what I did, but I missed the fact that I had to convert the temperatures from Celcius to Kelvin, so my result didn't match with the book's. That said:

Pi = 11.0 atm
    Tf = 75.0 + 273.15 = 348.15 K
    Ti = 25.0 + 273.15 = 298.15 K

Pf = Pi*Tf/*Ti = 11.0atm * 348.15 K/3*298.15 K = 4.28 atm

Thanks a ton for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted