Removing a stuck object

• Thread starter fkasmani
  • Start date
btw, hola Dadface. I have not seen your name around PF in years. Have we just been missing each other?

Hello Dave I've been pretty active on this forum mainly by following threads and giving an occasional contribution.

Hey, why not try using a plunger.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I would just like to point out as an aside that the sound of stainless steel scraping on stainless steel gives me the jumping screaming wigglies. (Some restaurants serve their ice cream in stainless steel dishes with a stainless steel spoon and I have to return it and ask for a ceramic bowl.)

Just reading this thread is continually giving me the heebie jeebies.

Dump some lighter fluid in the pressure cooker under the stuck pan. Use a model rocket igniter to ignite it from a distance. I've seen people do this to reset the bead on a tire that's been patched. Also heard about people being killed this way. Don't stand too close.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
I have been able to loosen shafts when stuck inside a cylinder by using two hammers, hitting the cylinder at diametrically opposite sides of the cylinder (e.g. stuck bicycle pedal cranks). This will cause the outer cylinder to flex, minutely and briefly, into an elliptical shape. The distortion tends to break the adhesion between the inner and outer surfaces which were stuck together.
I have even used it successfully with a glass bowl stuck inside another glass bowl - hitting with two wooden rolling pins! The minute distortion was enough to release the jammed article. It was in a coffee shop / kitchen supplies shop and this flash of brilliance earned me a free cup of coffee!

Throw it away and get a new one.
Sometimes, it's just cheaper to buy a new car than to fix the old one...

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
What a spoil sport! That's just not the right attitude my boy.
Cut the outer pan off and re-weld the two halves together. But don't just give up!

What a spoil sport! That's just not the right attitude my boy.
Cut the outer pan off and re-weld the two halves together. But don't just give up!

Hahahha!!

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Topologically, the lid is not inside the pot at all, it is merely adjacent to it.

So the failing is not with the pots, the failing is with your limited perception of them.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
I wonder what topological cooking tastes like.

I wonder what topological cooking tastes like.

haha, maybe we could share the pudding once it's out :yuck:

but I really don't want to give up on it that's why I've not yet taken it to have the lid grinded off - BTW, it's still in the freezer and the ice has not managed to pop the lid off.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Just try giving it that bash / hard tap with the two hammers (move all round the periphery, doing the same thing - there may be just one or two stuck points). I could almost guarantee a result - as long as you are careful not to distort things permanently!

And, topologically, most of the food never actually gets into your body - it just passes through the hole running through the middle.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
  1. Place your arms around the pot's waist.
  2. Make a fist with one hand and place your thumb toward the pot, just above its belly button.
  3. Grab your fist with your other hand.
  4. Deliver five upward squeeze-thrusts into the pot's abdomen.
  5. Keep a firm grip on the pot, since it may lose consciousness and fall to the ground if the maneuver is not effective.
And hurry dammit! It's been .... 10 days already! There's no time to lose!

GUYS, THE FREEZING METHOD WORKED!!! (but only to a certain extent)

as was suggested, I filled the empty lower space with water and froze for many days and the ice actually expanded and pushed the pan a bit. OK, it didn't push the stuck lid out completely, but it was now possible to pass in a plier and WITH MUCH STRENGTH, pull the stuck pan out - Sophiecentaur, you're right - there were only 2 opposite points at which it was maximum stuck.

But it's finally out without having to use any destructive methods.

Thanks so much everyone for your help and suggestions.
BTW, the pudding looked good but was now all soggy and mushy because of the water I had filled in. And Dave, you'd better show me the "belly button" on the pot sometime.

Take care, guys and once again, Thanks so much.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Now enjoy your meal, Sir.

This thread wins.

My initial impression was to use some brake parts cleaner and light it like someone already suggested but I probably would not have wanted to eat the pudding after that.

I think an electromagnet would have been the only method that would not have damaged the pudding in any way... They have solinoids in old electric typwriters and stuff that are suprisingly strong.

hey,, I'm not eating the pudding - I already threw it.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
I just hate faddy eaters!