Removing ink from paper

• Thread starter OrbitalPower
  • Start date

OrbitalPower

Well, the bleach actually worked perfectly. No muss, no fuss. I myself was a bit incredulous at first, so I put a smidgen on the pages of one of the books from my University library, which has three stamps, one on each side with pages like the color of bleach itself, and it seemed like it would remove it. After that, I then put some bleach on a paper towel and rubbed the top of the book I bought about 15 to 20 times and the stamp was completely gone.

I then rinced it with regular cold water from the kitchen. I guess if you look closely, under the right light, you can still kind of see an outline of where the stamp was.

The first pic is of the top of the book and my camera isn't even good enough to pick any discolorization, but the ends kind of look like a different color of white, some of which may have been due to my previous attempts to get it off. The bluish stain was already there and I consider that just part of the book's history, whereas the stamp made it feel less like "my book."

The other two pics are of the pages, which are all clean, and the cover. It's a very pretty book, is doing fine but still drying, and definitely thanks evo for the recommendation.

Attachments

OrbitalPower

I've bought quite a few from Alibris. Amazon uses Alibris's inventory, and Alibris is a dealer seller site (mostly dealers) where they sell their books through (sort of like ebay).

-----
On better quality artwork /paper after rinsing, its good to even neutralize any remaining bleach, and then rinsing again in RO or distilled water.

Interesting. I guess it's not Alibris's fault that it got listed as "like new," then. Most of the time people specifically note if a book is ex-library when described as being "like new" or "very good."

Even if I had bought another book (because I hate books with names on them other than my own) I still would have saved from the cost of a new book, though. For the most part I've had good luck with amazon.

Thankfully evo's solution worked, though, and the bleach was less than a $1.50, in a smaller bottle.

Evo

Mentor
Thank you Orbital, I'm glad it worked. I often post solutions and no one listens to me. They will continue posting about how nothing works and I will say "hello??? did you see my post about what to do 2 weeks ago"????

No one listens to Evo. :cry:

Last edited:

OrbitalPower

Everyone listen to evo, she's right. :tongue:

It was actually your own example that convinced me.

I would have tried it right away but I didn't have any bleach in the house. That's because I've been using Tide with Bleach Alternative for my laundry. And I didn't want to use that because I thought it might turn the pages blue, plus it's the "alternative" version. :rofl:

Thank you Orbital, I'm glad it worked. I often post solutions and no one listens to me. They will continue posting about how nothing works and I will say "hello??? did you see my post about what to do 2 weeks ago"????

No one listens to Evo. :cry:
hmmm, that reminds me.... did you ever email 'what's his name'?