Removing rev limiter on small two stroke

• Thread starter oldunion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rev
In summary, if you have a Zenoah G62pu engine and it has a rev limiter, you may be able to remove it by cutting the wire that connects it to the spark plug. However, this may void your engine's warranty.
oldunion
I have a zenoah g62pu engine on a scooter, about 62cc's. It has a rev limiter in the coil set at 12,500 i think. Id like to know how you could remove this. I have heard rumors of burning it out somehow, but no facts on it. It is a very small unit, maybe 1 square inch with a wire that goes right to the spark plug.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A rev limiter can be implemented different ways that could be simple or complex to circumvent.

Does the motor start cutting out when it reaches the rev limiter? Like whirrrrr rrrrr rrrr rrr rrrr rrrr rrr type running? If so this MAY be easy to circumvent but could still be complex because while there are popular methods a lot of different ones could be used. Without a schematic you'd have to test it and figure out what method it uses.

A lot of times the physical construction of the engine limits revs because it runs out of power extremely quickly near the top. Used on inexpensive edge trimmers and leaf blowers, but applicable to any two stroke.

As you increase the revs the stress on the connecting rod rises sharply by the square of the increase. Add 10% more revs and you have 20% more stress, 20% more revs and 44% more stress. How long can it handle that before failure?

im not extremely concerned with the connecting rod, the engine puts out maybe 7 or 8 hp tops, 5 stock. this engine, and all of zenoah engines that I am aware of, originally came with locked carburetor settings. currently the engines come with a coil based rev limiter. other people buy different limiters for other zenoah engines and retime the flywheel to allow for the engine to rev to 20k or so. so it is coil based, schematics...i don't know ill try, does anyone know how to get around it?

If the coil itself was designed to stop delivering good spark above that RPM then you will need a new coil. OEM puts reliability above performance, no one makes money doing warranty work and earning a reputation of engines that blow up. So aftermarket may be the only choice.

On the late 60s Boss 302 Mustang for example, the rev limiter simply cut off the ignition power source by interferring with the points/coil. It was a simple one wire to cut to eliminate it, as if the engineers had acknowledged that for warranty purposes it had to remain intact. But for owners who bought the car to use it, they cut the wire as soon as they could and they both win since the customer gets perf and Ford didn't have to warranty it.

Altering the ignition timing makes sense too.

If the connecting rod goes there isn't much of a point to the rest.

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product404.html

What am i going to see if i open this thing up

1. What is a rev limiter?

A rev limiter is a device that limits the maximum engine speed of a vehicle or machine. It is designed to protect the engine from damage by preventing it from revving too high.

2. Why do two-stroke engines have rev limiters?

Two-stroke engines have rev limiters to prevent the engine from reaching dangerously high speeds, which can cause mechanical failures and decrease the engine's lifespan.

3. Can the rev limiter be removed on a small two-stroke engine?

Yes, the rev limiter can be removed on a small two-stroke engine, but it is not recommended. It can cause excessive wear and tear on the engine, leading to potential damage and costly repairs.

4. How can the rev limiter be removed on a small two-stroke engine?

The rev limiter can be removed by modifying the engine's electronic control unit (ECU) or by physically disabling the device. However, it should only be done by a professional mechanic or experienced individual, as it may affect the engine's performance and safety.

5. Is it legal to remove the rev limiter on a small two-stroke engine?

It is not legal to remove the rev limiter on a small two-stroke engine, as it may violate emissions and noise regulations. In addition, it is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations for maintaining and operating the engine.