Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rendering a waving cilia

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wish to create a sequence of 2D still frames of a waving cilium in a confined space.

I know there's software out there that can do it. I don't know if there's anything free. Or if anyone would be willing to render it for me. It's pretty simple.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    I would just grab a drawing of a sine wave and nudge it to the right one pixel for each frame of the animation. Paint.NET is a great graphics package that would be easy to create the frames in as flat images (though really, you could even do this pretty easily in Microsoft Paint which comes with Windows if that's what you're using), then VirtualDub is an awesome little video editing package that I believe will let you import each image in the sequence as a video frame. (Both free.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. Feb 11, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sorry, I haven't been clear. I'm a pretty good artist and do a mean PhotoShop and even studied animation in college, so if it could be done by hand, I'm the one to do it.

But it's not enough...

Aw heck, I can't even begin to describe it... Find a thousand words-worth attached.

The flow in my sketches isn't smooth enough. I'm having to balance several elements such as the consistent curvature of the cilium and the volume of fluid it contains with the constraints of the walls.

Attached Files:

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    Your attachments haven't come through yet. But reading between the lines, are you saying you want to generate this from a 3D raytraced model, maybe? If so, POV-Ray is a popular free tool for that. Between that and VirtualDub you could put together an animation.

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No, 2D simple is fine. In fact, all I need is the shape; I could polish it from there.

I'll see if I can bump the approval for the images.

7. Feb 11, 2008 #6
    Oh, I see. You need it to sort of slither around inside the confined space? Yeah, I would think that the tough thing is to simulate the tension and the constraint on the maximum curvature.

I'm entirely amateur at doing this stuff on the cheap so I'm not familiar with the professional tools that might do this. If you can retouch the images I'd almost say get a camcorder and “rent” a snake from a pet shop and build a scale model. Then you'd get to sincerely add “no animals were harmed in the making of this animation” in the credits.

8. Feb 12, 2008 #7

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you think you can model the dynamics mathematically, and if you have access to Matlab, then you could draw the frames for the basic animation using psychtoolbox and copy them to images on disk for further editing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?