1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Renormalisation group equation

1. Feb 23, 2016 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The renormalization group equations for the n-point Green’s function ##\Gamma(n) = \langle \psi_{x_1} \dots \psi_{x_n}\rangle ## in a four-dimensional massless field theory is $$\mu \frac{d}{d \mu} \tilde{\Gamma}(n) (g) = 0$$ where the coupling g is defined at mass scale ##\mu##.

Show that this is equivalent to $$ (\beta \frac{\partial}{\partial g} + n )\tilde{\Gamma}(n) = 0, $$ where ##\beta(g) = \mu \frac{d g}{d \mu}. ##The field ##\psi## has mass dimension one and the Green’s function is a homogeneous function of degree n in the field.

2. Relevant equations

function of homogenous degree n is one in which the exponents of each term all add up to n.

Renormalisation of fields

3. The attempt at a solution
    In renormalisation, ##\psi \rightarrow Z_{\psi} \psi## and given that the Green's function is a homogenous function of degree n, in the renormalised Green's function, we now have a factor of ##(Z_{\psi})^n## in each term. So, $$\frac{d}{d \mu} \tilde \Gamma = \frac{\partial \tilde \Gamma}{\partial \mu} + \frac{\partial \tilde \Gamma}{\partial Z_{\psi}} \frac{\partial Z_{\psi}}{\partial \mu}$$ I would say that $$\frac{\partial \tilde \Gamma}{\partial Z_{\psi}} = n (Z_{\psi})^{n-1}\tilde \Gamma$$ but this does not seem to give me correct result.

Did I assume something incorrect? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing a ##\gamma## in that equation, next to the factor of n , did you realize this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted