Renormalizability - how to determine if a theory is renormalizable?

• Thread starter mhill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, it is not easy to determine if a theory is renormalizable or non-renormalizable simply by looking at the fields and Lagrangian. General theorems based on power counting can give some insights, but a careful check must still be done. However, it is known that operators of dimension 5 or higher are automatically non-renormalizable.
mhill
Given a theory with n-different fields [tex] \phi _{n}(x) [/tex] and a known Lagrangian L is possible to see at first sight if the theory will be renormalizable or non*-renormalizable ?? , or on the other hand should we calculate ALL the infinite diagramms to see it, for example i give a certain Lagrangian involving scalar particles, spin 1 particles and spin*-2 particles and several coupling constants could you say if this is renormalizable or not ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that it is simple to see, otherwise it wouldn't have warranted several Nobel Prizes in recognition of showing that various gauge theories are re-normalisable...

mhill said:
Given a theory with n-different fields [tex] \phi _{n}(x) [/tex] and a known Lagrangian L is possible to see at first sight if the theory will be renormalizable or non*-renormalizable ?? , or on the other hand should we calculate ALL the infinite diagramms to see it, for example i give a certain Lagrangian involving scalar particles, spin 1 particles and spin*-2 particles and several coupling constants could you say if this is renormalizable or not ?

There are general theorems based on power counting which tell you which theories are NOT renormalizable. You end up with so few remaining that you can just go around testing them one by one, I believe. I think it is pretty well discussed in Peskin and Schroeder.

lbrits said:
There are general theorems based on power counting which tell you which theories are NOT renormalizable. You end up with so few remaining that you can just go around testing them one by one, I believe. I think it is pretty well discussed in Peskin and Schroeder.

As far as I know, the only rule of thumb is that operators of dimension 5 and higher are automatically non-renormalizable. Are there any other quick rule?

IF all the terms are of dimension 4 (or less) then a crafeul check must be made.

1. What is renormalizability?

Renormalizability is a concept in theoretical physics that refers to the ability of a theory to produce finite and meaningful results when calculating physical quantities. In simpler terms, it is the property of a theory to be able to account for all the relevant interactions and produce predictions that are not infinitely large or undefined.

2. How do you determine if a theory is renormalizable?

To determine if a theory is renormalizable, one must analyze its mathematical structure and look for potential divergences, or infinite values, in the equations. If these divergences are present, the theory is considered non-renormalizable. However, if the divergences can be removed through a process called renormalization, the theory is deemed renormalizable.

3. What is the significance of renormalizability in theoretical physics?

Renormalizability is crucial in theoretical physics because it ensures that a theory is well-defined and can make accurate predictions about the physical world. Non-renormalizable theories often lead to nonsensical or unphysical results, making them unreliable for describing the universe.

4. Can a non-renormalizable theory still be useful?

Yes, a non-renormalizable theory can still be useful in certain contexts. While it may not accurately describe all physical phenomena, it can still provide insight and make predictions in limited situations. Non-renormalizable theories are also often used as low-energy approximations of more fundamental theories.

5. Are all physical theories renormalizable?

No, not all physical theories are renormalizable. In fact, many theories, such as general relativity, are non-renormalizable. This is because they involve infinitely many parameters and interactions, making it impossible to remove all divergences through renormalization. However, renormalizable theories are preferred as they are more mathematically elegant and reliable in predicting physical phenomena.