Rent control and market intervention - pros and cons

• Thread starter dj023102
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, rent control is often used as a popular market intervention, particularly in periods of inflation and where tenants outnumber owners. The short run and long run implications of introducing such controls are unknown, but rent control is generally seen as a bad idea because it ensures that the real problem - the high price of housing - never gets solved.
dj023102
Rent control are often used as a popular market intervention, particularly in periods of inflation and where tenants outnumber owners. What are the short-run and long-run implications of introducing such controls?
Any help would be appreicated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like homework. What do you think the answers are?

Well i thought the short run implications would be that search activity would occur and a black market arises. A dead weight loss would also occur and generally it would result in shortage of rent accomdation. also though they do lower the rent for some they raise the rent for others. The only winners of rent control are the people who are able to get the lower rents. i am not sure how to explain the long run of rent control.

Am i going in the right direction with this?

What do you think would happen to the condition of the buildings over time?

over time the building conditions would deterioate i am guessing and landlords would force tenants to pay a high price to fix and re condition the buildings.

Well rent control means they can't force the tenants to pay a higher price...

I think you are going in the right direction. Googling "rent control theory" gets a lot of hits to good articles. Some are subscription only, but you may be able to get them through your library. There is a lot of info out there.

Last edited:
IMO, rent control is a bad idea. If housing prices are high then there is a shortage of housing. If prices are artificially kept low then there will be no increase in supply. In other words, the real problem is the short supply (the high price is just a symptom) and rent control ensures that the problem never gets solved.

Price gouging is generally a good thing.

Apartment rent is ridiculous. Where I live, you can pay $1100/month for a tiny 1000 sqft apartment, or you can pay $500/month for a $200,000 house with around 2,000 sqft. I know the utilities of apartments have to be cheaper than for a big house. Why the hell are apartments more expensive then? They should be a hell of a lot cheaper. Something simply doesn't add up.

What is rent control and how does it work?

Rent control is a government policy that limits the amount of rent landlords can charge for their rental properties. This is typically done by setting a maximum percentage increase in rent each year or by setting a fixed price for rent. The goal of rent control is to make housing more affordable for tenants.

What are the pros of rent control?

One of the main benefits of rent control is that it can help keep housing costs affordable for low-income individuals and families. It can also provide stability for tenants, as they do not have to worry about sudden increases in rent. Additionally, rent control can help prevent displacement and gentrification in certain neighborhoods.

What are the cons of rent control?

One of the main drawbacks of rent control is that it can discourage landlords from maintaining or improving their properties, as they may not be able to raise rents to cover the costs. This can lead to a decrease in the quality of rental housing over time. Rent control can also create a shortage of rental properties, as landlords may choose to convert their units to condos or find other ways to get out of the rental market.

What other forms of market intervention can be used to address housing affordability?

Aside from rent control, other forms of market intervention include subsidies for low-income housing, tax breaks for landlords who keep rents low, and zoning regulations that require a certain percentage of new developments to be affordable housing units. These interventions can help address housing affordability without the potential negative effects of rent control.

What are some potential alternatives to rent control?

Instead of rent control, some experts suggest implementing policies that focus on increasing the supply of affordable housing, such as providing incentives for developers to build affordable housing units or streamlining the process for obtaining building permits. Another alternative is to address the root causes of high housing costs, such as stagnant wages and high construction costs.