Considering Housing Options: Save Money or Splurge?

In summary, the person is considering whether or not to rent or buy a place and they are considering the pros and cons of both options. They say that if they pay more, they get extra accommodation such as private bathrooms. They also mention that it was a good way to live when they were in their late teens and twenties and that living in different lifestyles is beneficial.
dimensionless
I'm looking at housing options. I'm thinking, while I can afford to get a nice place, I could save around 20-30% on rent by getting a not so nice place. Even a not so nice place would still be better than any of the rooms I had during school.

I'm just mulling this over and considering how many times per month I'd be able to eat at Olive Garden if I go with a cheap place. I could also pour more money into retirement and get a nicer car.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I see no reason to pay for more accommodation than you need. If a fridge and stove are enough, then just get a basement room or something. Toss some padding on the floor, and you have a bed. If you plan to entertain guests, then you'll want to get some nice chairs and a table. Really, it's whatever you feel comfortable with. Just make sure that you don't go over your budget.

Indeed, the only thing important is that it's liveable for you. As Danger pointed out, you might want something different if it's just a place to hang your hat and fall asleep at the end of the day than if you plan to have a lot of people visiting where you need space to accommodate them comfortably.

The good thing about renting is you're never locked in for long...a year at the most. If you decide you can't stand the place, you can move again. Especially if you only plan to use the place as a stepping stone while saving up for a more permanent home, the less you pay and more you can save, the better.

If I pay more, then I get extra accommodation and that might make life more pleasant. For example, rooms that come with private bathrooms cost a bit more, but there will not be anyone trying to shower when you're trying to brush your teeth before going to bed.

If you do decide to go with a crappy place just make sure you still have a decent landlord. Having to deal with plumbing, heating, water problems is a huge pain in the buttocks, especially if you have a deadbeat landlord.

Renting a room is less than ideal. I did it pretty much all the way through college, because it was the cheapest possible way to live.

I was certainly exposed to people whom I would not have associated with otherwise. Sometimes those people became close friends, almost like family. Sometimes, not so much.

In one situation, the family that owned the house had a 20-something-old son who had been in and out of hospitalization, due to schizophrenia. To make a long, sad story short, the son burned the house to the ground. Luckily no one was home at the time, but I was left destitute, along with the other four students that were renting rooms there.

It was a good way to live when I was in my late teens and twenties. Exposure to different lifestyles is good for someone that age. But I wouldn't do it again - I'm too set in my ways.

Wow...do you really like the Olive Garden that much :rofl: ?

1. Should I prioritize saving money or splurging on housing?

This ultimately depends on your personal financial situation and priorities. If you have a stable income and want to invest in a nicer home, splurging may be a good option. However, if you are on a tight budget or want to save for other expenses, it may be wiser to focus on saving money.

2. What factors should I consider when deciding between saving money and splurging on housing?

Some important factors to consider include your income and expenses, the cost of living in the area you are considering, your long-term financial goals, and your personal preferences for living space and amenities.

3. Are there any long-term consequences to splurging on housing?

Splurging on housing can have both positive and negative long-term consequences. On one hand, you may be able to enjoy a higher quality of life and potentially increase the value of your home over time. On the other hand, it may limit your ability to save for other expenses or investments.

4. How can I save money on housing without sacrificing too much?

There are several ways to save money on housing without sacrificing too much. Some options include living in a more affordable area, downsizing to a smaller home, or negotiating for a lower rent or mortgage rate. You can also save money by being mindful of your energy and utility usage and finding ways to reduce those costs.

5. Is it possible to find a balance between saving money and splurging on housing?

Yes, it is possible to find a balance between saving money and splurging on housing. This may involve compromising on certain amenities or choosing a more affordable location, while still investing in a comfortable and suitable living space. It is important to carefully consider your financial situation and priorities to determine the best balance for you.