Reopen Threads: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reopening closed threads on the philosophy forum that were closed due to talks about religion. The participants express their opinions on the relationship between religion and philosophy and the rules of the forum regarding discussing religion. One participant expresses surprise that talks about specific religions are not allowed on the forum since religion and philosophy are closely related. The conversation also includes definitions of philosophy and discussions on rationality and authority in both philosophy and religion.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Is it possible to reopen some of the close threads by editting the original post or deleting the irrelevant replies?
I noticed that some of threads in philosophy forum were closed just because in one of the replies, someone's said something about religion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Talks about specific religion are not welcome on this forum.

Which is weird because religion & philosophy are part of each other.

Daminc said:
Not really...

Daminc said:

No, I'm afraid not.

Ok. Personally I think my statement to be true. The fact that you disagree is ok. Do you guys have religious beliefs?

I don't. I like to try and keep an open mind so I read and discuss a variety of religions which is why I see similarities between religion and philosophy:

Definitions of philosophy on the Web:

1) doctrine: a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school
2) the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics
3) any personal belief about how to live or how to deal with a situation
4) Philosophy (a combination of the Greek words philos and sophia) is understood in different ways historically and by different philosophers. It, therefore, requires a meta-philosophy to adjudicate. Although it can be conceded that philosophy aims at some kind of understanding, knowledge or wisdom about fundamental matters such as reality, knowledge, meaning, value, being and truth, it is not clear whether these pursuits require a dialectical, i.e., dialogical, approach.

I would say there are a number of similaries. I would be interested to understand why you don't think so (I'm not baiting. I really am curious).

Bladibla said:
Talks about specific religion are not welcome on this forum.
I thought the same, but I didn't talk about any specific religion and it's closed now.

Daminc said:
I would say there are a number of similaries. I would be interested to understand why you don't think so (I'm not baiting. I really am curious).
Philosophy is based on logic. Religion is based on faith. I see that as the main difference. As a similiarity, both try to explain things that are unobservable or unknowable.

There are courses in philosophy of religion, but these usually explore classical arguments for or against a creator (cosmological argument, design argument, the problem of evil, etc) and not the doctrines/mythology of specific religions. Anything more specific, I think, would be getting into the realm of theology, but I have only taken courses at the undergrad level.

'doctrine: a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school'

That is true for religion, but not for philosophy.

'the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics '

'intelligent design' often cited by dogmatic religious people is not rational at all, considering the amount of evidence against it.

'any personal belief about how to live or how to deal with a situation'

Oh, i thought it was authorative by some school or group? Don't be ambiguous in your own post.

Sorry, the thread will remain closed. We have had too many issues with the Relgious debate, plus we maintain respect for all members here who have their own faiths. Lisa, please read the sticky "Before you post that religious topic". We can discuss "god" philosophically without getting into denominations or sects of religions. If you are not okay with that, pm me, and I can suggest other forums for you to carry on discussions of it specifically.

Kerrie said:
Sorry, the thread will remain closed. We have had too many issues with the Relgious debate, plus we maintain respect for all members here who have their own faiths. Lisa, please read the sticky "Before you post that religious topic". We can discuss "god" philosophically without getting into denominations or sects of religions. If you are not okay with that, pm me, and I can suggest other forums for you to carry on discussions of it specifically.
Thanks Kerrie. Actually I support your policy and I had read the sticky before posting. I thought we were allowed to discuss religion in general, and of course my question wasn't that at all. I just wanted to know if there was anything else wrong with my thread except asking what atheist think of God and religion. And well I ask this question for other forums too like GD.

Regards

Lisa!,
If you want to ask a question but aren't sure how to keep it within the rules, you can PM me anytime, and I'll be glad to offer suggestions. :smile:

yeah, me too. :uhh:

yomamma said:
Yeah, I know when I want suggestions about rules, I turn first to the buttface guy. :tongue2:

honestrosewater said:
Lisa!,
If you want to ask a question but aren't sure how to keep it within the rules, you can PM me anytime, and I'll be glad to offer suggestions. :smile:
Thank you. :smile: You know I almost knew my question would end up with closing the thread, but that was too tempting to avoid asking! :cry:

yomamma said:

You want I would be banned like you? :wink:

Bladibla said:
'doctrine: a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school'

That is true for religion, but not for philosophy.

'the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics '

'intelligent design' often cited by dogmatic religious people is not rational at all, considering the amount of evidence against it.

'any personal belief about how to live or how to deal with a situation'

Oh, i thought it was authorative by some school or group? Don't be ambiguous in your own post.

I posted several definitions of Philosophy from the web to illustrate a point.
I class myself as agnostic and so I probably see a lot more similarities between philosophy and religion than a person who is a devout believer, for example.

Oh, i thought it was authorative by some school or group? Don't be ambiguous in your own post.[/
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Math Is Hard said:
Philosophy is based on logic. Religion is based on faith. I see that as the main difference. As a similiarity, both try to explain things that are unobservable or unknowable.

This should probably be qualified. Although western philosophy (Aristotle through the modernists to today's continental and analytic traditions) is founded upon principles of rational argumentation that require formalized systems of logic, many other world philosophies are not. These are simply based on mysticism or even epiphany/revelation, which isn't so different from the religious methodology.

If you guys want to get really technical with word roots, the Greek philo-sophia just means 'friend/lover of knowledge/wisdom.' That is very broadly encompassing. As originally conceived by Aristotle, philosophy encompassed all enquiry into the nature of things, with subjects as diverse as physics, politics, and asthetics. Modern academic philosophy, as taught in western universities, is the true topic of the forums here. This (narrowly speaking) includes the study of metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, and asthetics. It uses a form of enquiry based upon logical argumentation and indeed includes the study of logic itself. Rational theology is included, but revealed theology is not (i.e. specific religious doctrines as laid out in scriptures). More broadly interpreted, academic philosophy includes any rational enquiry whatsoever. It can have as its subject anything that any science can investigate (although philosophy generally restricts itself to the domains of the social sciences: politics, linguistics, etc.), with the distinction being that science investigates these topics empirically, through experimentation, whereas philosophy is pure theorizing, informed, of course, by the experimentation and data-collecting of the sciences.

Last edited:

1. Can threads be reopened after they have been closed?

Yes, threads can be reopened after they have been closed. This is typically done by the person who initially closed the thread, or by a moderator or administrator.

2. How do you reopen a closed thread?

The process for reopening a closed thread may vary depending on the platform or forum being used. In most cases, the person who closed the thread can click on a "reopen" button or option to reopen the thread. If this option is not available, a moderator or administrator will need to be contacted to reopen the thread.

3. Why would someone want to reopen a closed thread?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to reopen a closed thread. It could be because new information or developments have come to light, or because the discussion was not fully resolved and there is still more to be said.

4. Are there any limitations to reopening a thread?

Again, this may depend on the specific platform or forum being used. Some may have restrictions on how long after a thread has been closed it can be reopened, or it may require moderator or administrator approval.

5. Can a thread be reopened multiple times?

In most cases, yes, a thread can be reopened multiple times if necessary. However, it is important to consider whether the discussion has reached a point of resolution or if it is becoming repetitive or unproductive. In these cases, it may be best to leave the thread closed and start a new discussion on the topic.