Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repairing a tent

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This weekend I was out camping in the dunes near the sea, celebrating someones birthday. The weather was great and we had a nice barbeque, but someone stepped on one of the tent lines and ripped out the side of my borrowed tent :eek:

Before I bring it back I'd like to repair it, but have no idea how or where to do that.. anyone an idea where to go? It's the outer tent, some kind of synthetic material.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've a similar process under works .... punched a hole to "untearable" fabric. I asked from the place I bought it from and they instructed to contact the company manufacturing them (or someone close enough affiliated) ... they've some sort of repair kits suited for those somewhat unusual fabrics. Don't know if there is an easier way to it ... some general repair equipment or so :confused:

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Some shops which sell camping equipment sell tent repair kits. Usually this involve sewing a patch and then glueing (adhesive) of similar material over the tear.

I suspect the tent is nylon (very common and most likely) or similar polyester. There are repair kits for this.

See example - http://totalescape.com/gear/tent.html

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  5. Jul 11, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think a repair kit is going to do it, I mean, the hole is large enough to easily step through it :biggrin:

I guess I'll start looking for a second hand tent at Ebay and replace it :frown:

6. Jul 11, 2005 #5

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

When you say "outer tent", do you mean "the fly", or layer of fabric you put over the already set-up tent to shed rain, etc., or are we talking about a panel in the tent itself? You may be able to contact the manufacturer and just buy a new fly and not an entire tent. If you do need a new tent check out clearance or "bargain-basement" oncampmor.com or sierratradingpost.com along with e-bay.

7. Jul 11, 2005 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The bolded one..

8. Jul 11, 2005 #7

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Great, that should be easier and cheaper to replace :approve: . I'd contact the company and ask about a new one.

9. Jul 11, 2005 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Good call Doc. A wrecked fly is a definite simplification of the problem.

10. Jul 11, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had varying degrees of success with tent repair kits.

However, I've found that nothing works better than gaffer tape, seriously.

I have a tent which is dedicated to festivals, so I don't have to worry about getting my very, very nice mountain tent burnt/slashed/lost. It probably has about 6 metres of gaffer tape on it, and never leaks.

Give it a go before you chuck it away!

11. Jul 12, 2005 #10
    You should be able to buy another rain fly. Check the manufacturers website. Or if you're handy with a needle, it wouldn't be too hard to repair it yourself. You can buy sealant to make it waterproof. It's not hard.

JMD

12. Jul 13, 2005 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm picking up a brand new 2nd hand tent tomorrow for €10 :biggrin:
    These internet markets come in really handy!

Here's me and my boy trying to figure out how to set up the tent :rofl:

Attached Files:

13. Jul 13, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't say fairer than €10! Can't even get decent gaffer tape for that! :smile:

Although I'm a little worried how you can get a brand new, second hand tent. Perhaps it's a magic tautological tent, full of opposites. Maybe when you get in there, gravity will be upside down, black will become white, and night will become day.

14. Jul 14, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, your hair is so long. How long did it take to grow?

15. Jul 14, 2005 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Long? It used to be much longer, but I don't like to have it extend past my waist. I think from the shoulder to the waist is about 2 yrs of growth.. :smile: I'm going to the hairdresser coming monday to get a completely new & short hairdo, so no more long hair.

Hey! In this pic you can see the ripped tent, left to the guy in the white shirt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  16. Jul 14, 2005 #15

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no! It's so pretty as is, though. I'm always sad when someone chops off her hair. :cry:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  17. Jul 14, 2005 #16

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Good catch on the tent, looks nice. One suggestion though, its best if you don't put the pole through your foot :wink: :biggrin: . Happy camping!

18. Jul 14, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I second that emotion.

... but I know that Monique with be beautiful with or without long hair. :smile:

19. Jul 14, 2005 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know... how could she not be? But still... *sniff*

20. Jul 14, 2005 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can always grow it back :wink: and I don't think I'll have it any shorter than half the length, so it will still be long I guess :smile: besides, 6 months ago I went to have my hair cut.. I had the same ambition to have a new 'do' but somehow it was still very long..

Aw, thanks.. I hope so :tongue:

21. Jul 14, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, you must've been a boyscout or something to know so much about camping. :biggrin:

(The smilies seem to be playing musical chairs again!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?