Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Repeal Healthcare?

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    So if the Republican party regain control of the house and senate, are they able to reverse the bill?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Re: Healthcare

Theoretically, yes.

But rolling back the entitlements that were passed in this bill would be political suicide.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3

It's funny how people attack those trying to help them.

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by that? Who would attack who?

6. Mar 23, 2010 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obama would never sign a repeal of the bill, so Congress would need the votes to override a veto. That requires a supermajority in both the House and the Senate - not possible. Beyond that, the Republicans would have to sell the idea of cancelling health coverage for sick children.

7. Mar 23, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know I linked to this in another thread, but it fit here too. http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Mar 23, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Republicans will now huff, and puff, and blow smoke from their ears in order to pacify their base, but it is all show.

Lisab, I thought that blog from Frum was right on. This turned out to be the Republican's Waterloo, not Obama's.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. Mar 23, 2010 #8
  10. Mar 23, 2010 #9
    It's immoral because you do not have the right to medical care.

Sure. I only wish once this settled down and bankruptcy turns out not to happen, all those voices will find something more useful to do with their life than noise. Albert Camus once said

11. Mar 23, 2010 #10
    It could be repealed I think, or parts overturned by the SCOTUS maybe. All we heard was how it would "never" be passed, how it would be political suicide for the Democrats to pass it, well they passed it. To say it can't be repealed, I'm not buying. To say it will be difficult to repeal, I agree.

But if there is one thing Obama has shown a few times, it is that conventional wisdom does not always apply.

12. Mar 23, 2010 #11
    The only way that this will ever be repealed is if it fails in action. Unfortunately the more likely action, should the government bankrupt itself, would be to raise taxes to compensate for the extra expense. I'm pretty sure we should just get used to the idea of having national health care.

13. Mar 23, 2010 #12
    It can and will be repealed if enough people turn against it. See Prohibition.

14. Mar 23, 2010 #13

The Repbulicans attacking Democrats!

Their so afraid of government, it's pretty sad.

15. Mar 23, 2010 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The truth is, we need medical coverage for those that don't get it through their employer or can't afford it. In the situation we are in with high unemployment, the number of Americans suddenly left without insurance has skyrocketed. This isn't acceptable in a successful western society.

Is the proposed solution perfect? No. Do changes need to be made for it to become a reality? Yes. Do we need it? Absolutely.

16. Mar 23, 2010 #15
    The proposed solution risks bankrupting the nation is the problem however.

17. Mar 23, 2010 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have a reference for an estimate of the risk? The CBO has released estimates projecting decreases in the deficit over the next 10 years.

See cost estimates: http://www.cbo.gov/publications/collections/health.cfmhttp://www.cbo.gov/publications/collections/health.cfm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Mar 23, 2010 #17
    That's right.

I'm convinced the philosophy you must be referring to is the philosophy of liberalism. What we've done over the last century is spend, spend, spend and take more and more liberties away. Now where are we?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aVDEHvI9WH_Q [Broken]

It takes courage to admit you have a problem, an addiction. Politicians are addicted to showing their generosity by spending other people's money and its running this nation straight into the ground.

19. Mar 23, 2010 #18
    The CBO is wrong. They have to use various assumptions in making their calculations. You could also look at the history of most all the government health entitlements. They never come out costing what they are projected to. The bill supposedly pays for itself by cutting Medicare, but it is also supposed to expand Medicare. Now anyone knows you can't expand Medicare with the same bill that is funded with cuts to Medicare.

When asked about this, President Obama couldn't answer and waffled on the issue completely. The Democrats know the bill will cost an astronomical amount, they will announce the need for new taxes to pay for it.

20. Mar 23, 2010 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Can't agree more. My state is rural/forested with primarily seasonal and part-time jobs that don't offer any health-insurance, and income levels that don't allow workers to afford them. Without some fundamental reforms, more people would be left behind, denied preventative health care and denied treatment until their conditions got serious enough to to require ER visits, which we ALL pay for.

21. Mar 23, 2010 #20
    You're confusing Medicare and Medicaid. They're different programs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook