Finding Third Root & Values of p & q

• Thread starter chudzoik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, to find the third root and the values of p and q for the equation 2x^3 + px^2 + qx -4 = 0, first note that if 2 is a repeated root, then the polynomial can be written as 2(x-2)^2(x-c) for a certain c. Then, by comparing this to the original polynomial, we can solve for c and determine the values of p and q.
chudzoik

Homework Statement

Given that 2 is a repeated root of the equation 2x^3 + px^2 + qx -4 = 0, find the third root and the values of p and q.

Homework Equations

b^2 - 4ac(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it said 2 is a root I plugged in 2 as the value of x and rearranged the equation in terms of q, which I figured out to be q = -2(3+p), but when I plug that back into the original equation to try and find p, I got 16 + 4p - 12 - 4p - 4 = 0. The p's cancel out so I don't know if I think I've done something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know about derivatives (which I assume you don't, since you posted in precalc): what do you know about the derivative if the original polynomial has a repeated root??

If you do not know about derivatives: note that if 2 is a repeated root, then your original polynomial can be written as [itex]2(x-2)^2(x-c)[/itex] for a certain c. Work that out and compare it to the original polynomial.

micromass said:
If you know about derivatives (which I assume you don't, since you posted in precalc): what do you know about the derivative if the original polynomial has a repeated root??

If you do not know about derivatives: note that if 2 is a repeated root, then your original polynomial can be written as [itex]2(x-2)^2(x-c)[/itex] for a certain c. Work that out and compare it to the original polynomial.
The OP posted in the calculus section, also, but I deleted it there. This seems to me to be a problem that doesn't require calculus.

micromass said:

Where does c come from and what does "certain c" mean exactly?

c is the third root that you're trying to find. "For certain c" means that we don't know exactly what that number is, but we know that the 3rd degree polynomial with a repeated root of 2 has to factor into 2(x - 2)2(x - c) for some real number c.

1. What is the third root of a number?

The third root of a number is the number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original number. It is also known as the cube root.

2. How do you find the third root of a number?

To find the third root of a number, you can use a calculator or manually by repeated division. For example, to find the third root of 27, you can divide 27 by 3, which gives you 9. Then, divide 9 by 3 again, which gives you 3. Therefore, the third root of 27 is 3.

3. What are the values of p and q in a third root equation?

In a third root equation, p and q represent the numbers that are being multiplied together to get the original number. For example, in the equation ∛27 = p * q, p = 3 and q = 3.

4. How do you solve for p and q in a third root equation?

To solve for p and q in a third root equation, you can use algebra. For example, if the equation is ∛125 = p * q, you can rewrite it as 125 = p * p * p. This means that p must be 5, and q must also be 5, since 5 * 5 * 5 = 125.

5. Can you have more than one possible solution for p and q in a third root equation?

Yes, some numbers may have multiple possible solutions for p and q in a third root equation. For example, in the equation ∛64 = p * q, the possible solutions are p = 2 and q = 4, or p = 4 and q = 2, since 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 64 or 4 * 4 * 4 = 64.