1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repeated roots

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that 2 is a repeated root of the equation 2x^3 + px^2 + qx -4 = 0, find the third root and the values of p and q.

2. Relevant equations
    b^2 - 4ac(?)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it said 2 is a root I plugged in 2 as the value of x and rearranged the equation in terms of q, which I figured out to be q = -2(3+p), but when I plug that back into the original equation to try and find p, I got 16 + 4p - 12 - 4p - 4 = 0. The p's cancel out so I don't know if I think I've done something wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you know about derivatives (which I assume you don't, since you posted in precalc): what do you know about the derivative if the original polynomial has a repeated root??

If you do not know about derivatives: note that if 2 is a repeated root, then your original polynomial can be written as [itex]2(x-2)^2(x-c)[/itex] for a certain c. Work that out and compare it to the original polynomial.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The OP posted in the calculus section, also, but I deleted it there. This seems to me to be a problem that doesn't require calculus.

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4
    Where does c come from and what does "certain c" mean exactly?

6. Feb 6, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

c is the third root that you're trying to find. "For certain c" means that we don't know exactly what that number is, but we know that the 3rd degree polynomial with a repeated root of 2 has to factor into 2(x - 2)2(x - c) for some real number c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook