1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repeating decimals

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
    If the repeating decimal is equal to a/b, why is the number of repeating digits less than the denominator b?
    This was a question on my homework, and I could not find mathematical proof for the conclusion that number repeating digits is always less than b.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The key lies in doing long division (at least that's how I discovered it way back when); run through a few dozen examples, maybe you'll pick up on it.
  4. Sep 12, 2004 #3
    I don’t wish to seem a bit impatient, but is it possible one could post the mathematical proof? We will most likely be going over this in class tomorrow, and I do not wish to be behind in the event I am not able to find the answer before then.
  5. Sep 12, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay - imagine performing long division of an integer by an integer. In each step you have a remainder. There are only N possible remainders (from 0 up to N-1). If one of them is 0 then you're done. Otherwise, of the other possible remainders (from 1 up to N-1) you can only go through N-1 steps before one of those very same remainders occurs once again - it's inevitable! At that point, each step repeats the previous ones and therefore your quotient must repeat over and over!
  6. Sep 12, 2004 #5
    Thank you for your help, Tide and Hurkyl.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?