1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repel forces of magnets

1. Jul 14, 2015 #1
    Hi
    Just wanted to know,

If I have two magnets of the same size with a pull force of say 30kg and use them to repel each other, the top magnet at a position close to the surface of the bottom magnet would be able to support around 30kg (I know repel force is not measured in kg). If I then replace the top magnet with a smaller one will it still be able to support around 30kg at the same position as it is still being repelled from the bottom one with around 30kg of force?

Thanks
    Stoney

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The force between two magnets is (ideally) dependent on their orientation and the strength of their magnetic moments, which are not necessarily related to size. If you decrease the magnetic moments of one of the magnets, the total force is going to go down.

So why do you use it? Please stick to proper physical units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook