1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replace a support

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In i ) I was told that for the pinned support , we can assume to replace it with a roller , while for the cantilever , we can assume it to be supported by double roller .

For the cantilever , why we cant replace it with roller instead of double roller ? What 's the difference between double and single roller ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In iv ) I was told that we can use roller guide , so from the figure , it's single roller , right ? So , IMO , the ii) was wrong , for the cantilever , we should always use
    single roller

Attached Files:

• 544.jpg
      544.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:
    • 545.jpg
      545.jpg
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Took me a while, but I think I get it.
    The question posed is what happens to the rest of the system if the point A is somehow displaced "vertically".
    If A is only a pin, the beam can accommodate the displacement by rotating about A. So the effect is the same as if A were just a roller in the first place.
    If the joint at A is a cantilever then the beam cannot rotate about it. So displacing A vertically is like the support at A being a double roller.

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3
    Well , thanks for your explaination .But ,If A is only a pin, rotating about Av has the same effect as if A were just a roller in the first place???

Secondly , why placing a double roller at A will not allow rotation ?

5. Jan 25, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. A roller is like a pin that can also slide in one direction.
    The actual support at A is a pin. We are looking at the consequences of movement of that support in the vertical direction.
    Pin + 1 dimensional movement = roller.
    Similarly,
    Fixed (cantilever) + 1 dimensional movement = double roller.
    That's what a double roller does. Each roller is constrained to slide in a track. Rotation would tug one of them out of the track.

See if http://www.engr.uky.edu/~gebland/CE 382/CE 382 Four Slides per Page/L4 - Support Reactions.pdf helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted