Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replenishing gut flora

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    Antibiotics often killed off good bacteria species in our guts. Are there any ways to replenish them, other than the unpleasant fecal transplant procedure?

A search on this topic mostly return recommendations on healthy diet and probiotics. I reckon these can only help surviving species, and those species that have been eradicated are gone for good. Or could their kin somehow re-colonize our guts?

Some suggest soil-based organisms, but I am unable to find any supporting scientific evidence.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2016 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You can take capsules of bacteria, which in the US can be obtained from your pharmacist without a prescription. But, as always, ask your doctor before self treating since they know your history.

4. Sep 14, 2016 #3
    Do you mean those sold as probiotics? My understanding is that those bacteria strains are transient in our gut; they don't colonize. For example

from http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/770468_3

Also those probiotics often contain only a few strains, which do not seem enough to make up the loss of the microbiome.

5. Sep 14, 2016 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Your link doesn't work for me.

The type I took worked for me and the antibiotic I was on was meant to completely wipe out my bacteria, because I had an infection that would not go away, so I had to take the capsules daily, it was a 30 day course, like I said, talk to your doctor. This thread is closed as we cannot go into anything more specific.

Here is an explanation of when fecal transplantation would be considered.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gast...advanced_endoscopy/fecal_transplantation.html

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook