Solving the Integration of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB

In summary, the function exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB represents the integral of the complementary error function multiplied by the exponential function. To solve this integration, you can use the built-in function int or numerical methods such as quad or integral. The graph of the integral can be plotted using the fplot function. It is also possible to solve the integration using symbolic variables and the int function, or as a differential equation using the solve function.
bhartish
I have doubt in MATLAB

How to integrate

exp(x)*erfc(x) ? in MATLAB

The warning msg it is displaying is :

EXPLICIT integral could not be found

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the function exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB?

The function exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB represents the integral of the complementary error function multiplied by the exponential function, where erfc(x) is the probability that a normally distributed random variable will fall within a specified range.

2. How can I solve the integration of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB?

To solve the integration of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB, you can use the built-in function int. This function takes in the expression to be integrated and the variable of integration as parameters, and returns the symbolic result of the integration.

3. Can I use a numerical method to solve the integration of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use numerical methods such as the quad or integral functions to solve the integration of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB. These methods are useful for cases where the symbolic result is not available or too complex.

4. How can I plot the graph of the integral of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB?

To plot the graph of the integral of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB, you can use the fplot function. This function takes in the expression to be plotted and the range of values for the independent variable as parameters, and plots the corresponding graph.

5. Is there any other way to solve the integration of exp(x)*erfc(x) in MATLAB besides using built-in functions?

Yes, you can also use the syms function to define symbolic variables and perform the integration using the int function. Additionally, you can use the solve function to solve the integration as a differential equation.