1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Report on PDE

1. Jun 16, 2006 #1
    I have to give a 35-50 minute presentation on PDEs in a week and a half for my class. I really dont have much knowledge of PDE's and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good internet rescourses etc. that would help me get a decent grasp so that I could make a decent presentation and answer a few questions.

I guess I was thinking of doing the speration of variables tecnique but I am open to other suggestions, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2006 #2
  4. Jun 16, 2006 #3
    What about giving it on a certain function? I am worried that some of the people, might not learn anything new, its a senior level/grad course. Perhaps if I just concentrated on one function would it be better than simply giving a general talk on it?

5. Jun 16, 2006 #4
    You will have to wait for the big sluggers to come around. I've only taken one class on PDE's and it was very basic (covered laplace, heat, and wave equations, and fourier series solutions).

I was just posting some links that I found very helpful when I took the class. I especially enjoyed the maple worksheets.

I found the wave equation to be very interesting. It was especially cool to see it graphed and move, to see how the information propagates. I believe one of those Maple worksheets yields a solution to the two dimensional wave by starting with seperation of variables to fourier, and then has some nice animations.

I'm an engineering major, so seeing it "work" in action was what I really liked. Math majors might rather see the mathematical methods employed, and physicists might like seeing the derivation leading up to the actual expressions. Just depends on the audience I guess :)

6. Jun 16, 2006 #5
    hey thanks for those links, for the maple link, to view I guess I need maple, is there any trail download I can get to see the lesson?

I really thank you for your help, I have decided that I would like to do the wave equation. What do you think about maybe talking about a wave of a string or something classical like that, and then also doing a particle in an infinite sqaure well?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  7. Jun 16, 2006 #6
    Isnt that too basic for a 35-50 minute presentation in senior level/grad course? Maybe you could solve some problem numerically with a finite element method or analytically solve the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom in sphereical coordinates(See Arfken for a short introduction)

8. Jun 17, 2006 #7
    not a bad idea, the hydrogen atom uses the seperation of variables tecnique right? So I could go over an example of doing serperation of variables for a general PDE, and then go into solving the hydrogen atom?

Any other feedback would also be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?